Reccomendations for second build?

Started by merc, April 01, 2008, 09:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merc

I haven't even gotten the parts for my first pedal yet, but I want to have something to research while I'm waiting the 7-10 days my parts are going to take.  I'm jumping the gun a little bit here, but for build 2 I was thinking anything not involving distortion would be nice.  I would also prefer for it to be not-so-subtle.  I'm not crazy about taking a bunch of time to make a pedal that no one even notices.  I was thinking a delay or filter pedal, but I think I am correct in assuming delay pedals are complicated beyond the grasp of a builder with only one project under the belt.  I know a wah is out of the question, so I was thinking about an autowah, but I don't have any idea how difficult one would be to build.  So if you guys have any suggestions for phasers, flangers, or autowahs (or any other cool non-distortion effect) that might be alright for a second build, I would like to hear about them.  And if I'm way out of my league, let me know!

96ecss

Hi, for a Delay, I would recommend the Rebote 2.5 http://tonepad.com/project.asp?id=51

Great sounding Delay and really easy to build if you get the pcb from Tonepad.

Also from Tonepad is the Small Clone Chorus. http://tonepad.com/project.asp?id=8

Just like the Rebote, get the pcb from Tonepad and you should be ok.

Both of those pedals are always on my pedalboard and they're not subtle at all. If you like Chorus and Delay, you'll be very happy I think.

Dave

ConanB

Why not make an octave pedal of some sort?

Gus Smalley's Simple Octave Up or even a Green Ringer aren't overly complex. I'm going to be building up one soon, once I decide on which sound I'm after.

foxfire

you could try a Colorsound Inductorless wah. it a pretty easy build.

Mark Hammer

The other suggestions are good too, but I'll follow up on your consideration of an auto-wah, simply because it is an interesting platform for changing, or at least reconsidering, the way you play.

Although it is not the best that one can make/buy, the Dr. Q and its variants (Dr. Quack, Nurse Quacky, Seamoon Funk Machine, Guyatone Wah-Rocker, et al) is a relatively easy to build and easy to trouble-shoot circuit that easily lends itself to mods and experimentation at fairly low cost.  A useful pedal for learning.

That being said, feel free to table it for your 3rd pedal-build. :icon_smile:

MikeH

For a good second build that isn't too complicated and isn't a distortion you could try a tremelo.  There's a lot of designs floating around with low parts count and are pretty straight forward.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

merc

The Rebote sounds perfect... I'm going to have to etch that PCB when I etch the Chaos.  Dr. Q might be in that batch too, but I have to do my homework on it first  ;D

Like I said, I'm still waiting for components, but I just got my boards and drill bits.  Of course i just ripped that plastic case open and those tiny bits went all over the place.  Naturally, I used a handy magnet to pick them up, which magnetized them.  Now I have no idea which ones are which, they stick together, and about 3 of the extremely tiny ones are MIA.  I don't really know what I would have done with a #80 bit anyway.  Next time I'm going to just get some #61 bits and forget the tiny ones.

:D Whoops, I got off-track.  Anyway, I'm going to sneak those pcb layouts onto a laser printer tomorrow and get etching.  Thanks guys!

merc

Mark, is there a specific autowah you would reccommend out of that bunch?

merc

I just listened to the Rebote, and I realized it sounds like an echo.  I should have thought that, it is a delay pedal and all.  Would there be a way so that I could set the delay to a interval that would make it sound like a chorus or phaser/flanger?

suprleed

You should take a look at Tim Escobedo's site.  Google "folk urban" and look for the "circuit snippets" link.  Tim has several unconventional circuits including a couple autowah's and some have sound clips.  Many of the circuits are fairly simple and while some may be more involved than a distortion, there might be something there that would fill your needs. 

8)
"That's the way I play" ~EC

merc

That's a nice site.  It took me a bit to find the link, but after I did, I instantly became attatched to the Phuncgnosis after hearing the clip.  I'm also liking the Zombie Chorus and the Ultra Flanger, both of which I found on home wrecker.  The Phuncgnosis might be a bit over the top though, so I'm really looking hard at the Ultra Flanger.  I found I like the flangers better because they sound more natural.  Now I understand what I read on the difference between phasers and flangers.  Basically, I want a flanger or autowah, or something similar.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: merc on April 02, 2008, 06:07:13 PM
Mark, is there a specific autowah you would reccommend out of that bunch?
The Dr Quack.  The original Dr Q necessitates use of an LM14588 dual op-amp or else it behaves very weirdly.  Jack Orman's solution to that resulted in the Dr. Quack, which precompensates in a manner that will let you use virtually any dual op-amp you have handy.  The buffer stage up front is also very helpful.  The original loaded things down like crazy.

If you are adventurous, the Bass Balls project here - http://topopiccione.atspace.com/ - is also excellent.  Miles of room for mods, and some excellent sounds that far exceed the original EHX box.  Uses "normal" parts.

Mick Bailey

If you fancy a delay, its a small step from a Rebote to build the truly superb Echobase which will give real job satisfaction. lots of lush, usable sounds, delay and modulation. Also pretty wacky stuff too. Plenty of posts and layout info.

oldrocker

The Zombie Chorus and Ultra Flanger are from the John Hollis website.  Homewrecker is the sister website to runoffgrooves I believe.   Both the Zombie and Ultra flang are great circuits for the small parts count.  Check geofex for a PCB layout.
http://randallbarnett.homestead.com/flanger2.mp3
http://www.mrdwab.com/john/Zombie1.mp3

merc

I've cut the pcbs for Phungnosis, Chaos, Tubescreamer, Q-Tripper and Vibro-tone pedals.  The last two are complicated but the first three shouldn't be a problem.  I can't seem to get the design to transfer though.  I cleaned off the pcb for Phungnosis using some acetone based fingernail polish remover, then slapped on the design and started ironing.  After an hour, the design was still barely halfway on, so I'm figuring I did something wrong.  I used a transparency, like the thing for an overhead projector.  Could that be the problem?  I've got some matte photo paper lying around if that would be better.  I also think I might need a stronger acetone solution, because the one I had wouldn't even take the toner off of the board.  I know you're not supposed to touch the copper on the board, but I touched all over the design, that might also be a problem.  I know I've kind of turned this into a "How Do I Transfer a Design???" kind of question, but I think I followed directions correctly, so any help on what I'm doing wrong would be helpful.