I need help buying resistors...and other parts

Started by Sir_Ian, April 02, 2008, 04:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir_Ian

Ok, I spent like 30 minutes using the search function, but I couldn't find many answers to my questions.

I want to buy carbon film resitors, but I don't feel like buys packs of 200 from smallbear. Thats just too many. Now effectsconnection sells 100 for $1, and that seems like a good deal, but I noticed they are rated at +/- 10% as opposed to the ones at smallbear which are +/- 5%.

So would it kill me to get the cheaper ones? I mean, I understand that my 100k could now be a 110K, but would it really matter...that much? I thought about ordering sets of 100 from mouser, but ordering from them is a daunting task. I was rather confused about some of what to get... Is it worth it to order from mouser?

If mouser is the way to go, what part number should I be looking at?

I might just end up doing individuals from smallbear, but I know I'm giving them too of a deal on that. Thanks.

Oh, one last question. I'm going to be ordering some transistors, op amps, etc, does mouser give a good price if I'm jsut ordering like 5 of each?
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Sir_Ian

well, i think I just answered my own question. After I typed this I thought...wow, I'm an idiot, I have a pack from them....Lets go use the multimeter and see how good they are. So I did. They are 220k ohm resistors, and I tested 4. My results were 220, 222, 224, and 234. So there I have it...I'll just test before I use.

Unless someone can provide an arguement for why this is the wrong thing to do?
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Dragonfly

Mark F

JAMECO sells 1/4 Watt 5% carbon film for 100 @ $1.00. They also have assorted IC's , Transistors etc. I've never had any problem ordering from them. I can't remember if they have a min. order amount. I usually order enough that I'm really not concerned. Small Bear has just about everything you'll need that may be hard to find other places,especially if you are new to electronics,this hobby especially. SB is like One Stop Shopping. Fast service, Great Customer Service Etc. Hope that helps. :icon_wink:

frank_p

Quote from: Dragonfly on April 02, 2008, 05:11:19 PM
You might also look at the "assortment" packs at www.futurlec.com

Are those futurlec value packs have a "well distributed" values or you can get per ex. 75% of a certain value and the other 25% in an assortment ?
I was considering those, but anyone knows what is in these packs ?