Here's an easy way to get more depth on the EA Trem

Started by squidsquad, April 03, 2008, 04:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidsquad

Years back this issue was mentioned...but I think I've found another solution.  People complained there wasn't enough depth.
I built one...it had that problem.  I built another...it had PLENTY of depth!  Hmmmm...(I was still learning).  Recently...
I was tinkering...accidentally my perf board bottom hit the LED legs & fried it.  I replaced it...still dead. Via a probe...found I had also fried my JFET.  Replaced it....not much depth.  Of course...I now know them things are *all over the map*.  This time... I had an NTE 457 layin around (same pinout) and piggy-backed it to the wimpy JFET & WHAM!  Depth in spades.  Give it a try if you'd like a more choppy sound!

dschwartz

i asked myself why the fet is controlling the capacitor to ground resistance..is like a boost control, but even when resistance of the fet is fairly high, there will be output anyway..

then.. why not to try putting the fet across the output of the mosfet? that should give a lot more depth to the effect..

by the way..what´s "piggybacked"?

----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

squidsquad

The opposite of *Missionary Position*...hehe!  Actually...*on top of* ...with gate connected to gate, drain to drain, source to source.
Using 2 JFETs on top of each other...sharing connections.....gives a bit more *omph*.  It also works in JFET boosters...giving a couple extra DBs of gain.  As opposed to socketing & trying a few till you get a *strong* one.

dschwartz

oohh.. so you "doggie style" both fets.. now i get it...
Tubes are overrated!!

kawayanstrat

Quote from: squidsquad on April 03, 2008, 11:10:58 AM
The opposite of *Missionary Position*...hehe!  Actually...*on top of* ...with gate connected to gate, drain to drain, source to source.
Using 2 JFETs on top of each other...sharing connections.....gives a bit more *omph*.  It also works in JFET boosters...giving a couple extra DBs of gain.  As opposed to socketing & trying a few till you get a *strong* one.
Can you also do this"piggyback" on OD/Dist?

squidsquad

On a simple JFET circuit...like the Fetzer Valve or Andy's Sparkle Drive...it's very easy (with a little bending & dexterity) to simply touch the 3 legs & hear the difference (a bit more volume).  Dunno how/if it would work on multiple stages like the BSIAB.  And from what I've read..you don't really want/need to bump up gain on that one.  As for MOSFETS...I forget...might give it a try.  But for transistors...it LOWERS the HFE.
Search on Miss Piggy or the Range Pig.  Brett, Petemoore & others were trying to get a low gain-germanium sound w/silicon trannys...& had success.
And some guys even tried stacking op amps...hehe!  I believe it was only a subtle change in sound...but it's been many years.

rogerinIowa

Years back this issue was mentioned...but I think I've found another solution.  People complained there wasn't enough depth.
I built one...it had that problem.  I built another...it had PLENTY of depth!  Hmmmm...(I was still learning).  Recently...
I was tinkering...accidentally my perf board bottom hit the LED legs & fried it.  I replaced it...still dead. Via a probe...found I had also fried my JFET.  Replaced it....not much depth.  Of course...I now know them things are *all over the map*.  This time... I had an NTE 457 layin around (same pinout) and piggy-backed it to the wimpy JFET & WHAM!  Depth in spades.  Give it a try if you'd like a more choppy sound!

Squidsquad, do you have to do this to both jfets to get that effect, or just one?
and if one, which one?I guess that I am really asking is Q2 or Q4 (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_eat_lo.pdf?phpMyAdmin=4a28f86a515b7883e7bc35a68d4e7b6d)
friends dont let friends use stock pedals.

squidsquad

Roger,
Mine was from ROG (there are a few variations) and has a MOSFET front end....a JFET gate connecting to the depth pot (THAT'S the one), and a 2N5088 tranny collecter going to the flashing LED.

squidsquad

After looking at your link...first of all...I can't *read* layouts....only schematics.  Secondly...that's a whole different animal...changed to address the issue from another angle.

dschwartz

no one noticed my idea of putting the fet on the mosfet´s output instead of the source cap?
Tubes are overrated!!

squidsquad

I noticed...but can't comment.  I'm not one of the *deep guys*.  I do this for fun & I only know a few basics...but try to contribute when I stumble on something through my mindless tinkering...or recall subjects from a few years ago.