PugFuzz - Yet another fuzz variant

Started by Foxpaw, April 04, 2008, 03:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxpaw

Here's my variation for the Fuzz Face: The PugFuzz

I recorded some samples with it - well I'm not a guitarist and I recorded it with a left-handed cheap Samick strat copy (I am right handed), so please forgive me
my "playing". Recorded direct to line in, a little reverb added for more natural sound.

Samples:
http://foxpaw.tar.hu/newpedal.mp3 
http://www.tar.hu/foxpaw/torz1.mp3   (First the Fuzz knob tweaked, then the Guitar knobs.)
http://www.tar.hu/foxpaw/torz2.mp3   (Insane clip. Only guitar knobs tweaked.)

Enjoy!  :icon_biggrin:

If somebody is interested I will try to draw (and post) the schem on my computer. (I have the schem on paper.)

GREEN FUZ

I think you`ve just reinvented the Fuzz Factory, ;D. Sounds good.

Foxpaw

Yes, the good old potentiometer after the battery trick. I really love the way the oscillation thickens up the sound.

By the way I think my fuzz is really far from the Fuzz Factory. Zach did a great job with the Fuzz Factory, it's a very versatile and original Ge fuzz with modern sound capabilities and tricks. - My pedal is just another face of the well known fuzz face...

Austin73

Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Foxpaw

I have some work to do. But after that I will try to draw and post the schem.

Foxpaw

Here is the schem.

All pots are linear except the "Volume" pot.
The diodes adds a little unique fizz to the sound. And also works like some sort of noise gates. (Well on the other hand they reduce the sustain a little...)
The trimpot is really touch sensitive. Adjust by ear. (Or use a regular pot to get some octave up and gated madness.)

I think a 100k resistor at the input might work better than the 10k.

doug deeper

Dagreb

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Excuse my ignorance, but what purpose does the red LED at the start of the circuit serve?

soulsonic

Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on April 05, 2008, 06:13:06 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what purpose does the red LED at the start of the circuit serve?
ESD protection.

It's a nice fuzz. I enjoy the playable oscillations! I like the series clippers with the output signal - I've been wanting to mess with something like that myself.
Good job!
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Quote from: soulsonic on April 05, 2008, 10:38:54 PM
ESD protection.

Electro-static discharge?  ???

Foxpaw

Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on April 06, 2008, 04:00:58 AM
ESD protection.

Yes, it's static protection for the 2N7000 MOSFET.

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Quote from: Foxpaw on April 06, 2008, 04:11:12 AM
Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on April 06, 2008, 04:00:58 AM
ESD protection.

Yes, it's static protection for the 2N7000 MOSFET.

Oh hey... of course... don't worry, I'm awake now  :icon_redface:

Foxpaw

Possible upgrade: Adding a passive low-cut filter (potentiometer) in the front of the circuit - a really efficient way to control the oscillation pitch without altering the sound too much.

WGTP

Cool, nice to see a FF with some real variation.   :icon_cool:

Your probably aware that using GE diodes reduces the effect and LED's intensifies it.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Foxpaw

If you continue to call this thing FF then Zach will probably kill me...  :icon_eek:  :icon_mrgreen: 

I will update the schem soon.

Foxpaw

Quote from: WGTP on April 07, 2008, 09:55:22 AM
Your probably aware that using GE diodes reduces the effect and LED's intensifies it.   :icon_cool:

Yup, tried 2 pairs of LEDs and a bunch of Si, but I love the sound of the 1N4148s - and they don't kill off sustain totally.

A good option could be to wire up a bunch of diodes to a rotary switch...  :)
(Oh well another control that way. I wanted to make a pedal with only 2-3 controls...  :icon_neutral: )

Schematic updated with a high-pass section which can be omitted. But it helps me to shift the oscillation pitch anywhere where I want to.
(Well I was lazy so I just copied the high-pass EQ knob of my passive bass guitar...  :icon_rolleyes: )