paint / finish problem

Started by searoad, April 08, 2008, 12:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

searoad

hi all!
this is a custom Fuzzfactory i saw from HCEF.
i like the texture very much but i have no idea how this could be done.
is it a "glitter" paint (sorry i dont know the extact name)? or any way to get the close effect?
thank you!

m-theory

It's glitter.  Paint manufacturers offered as a special effect additive long ago.  It was really popular during the 70's, for boats, motorcycles, and cars, but it all but faded from use since then.  Pretty cool.  You could probably get away with just sprinking gold and silver glitter from a craft store on top of a fresh coat.  If you used Rustoleum, it'd stay gooey longer.  In fact, I think I'll try this myself! 

GREEN FUZ

I was interested in doing this a while back until I found out the cost of all the materials used. You`ll need a spray gun and even the Metal Flake itself is quite expensive. That said the effect is beautiful and you can get a stunning variety of colours.

Let us know if you find a cheap way to do it.

m-theory

QuoteYou`ll need a spray gun and even the Metal Flake itself is quite expensive.
If you were painting a car, boat, or motorcycle, yeah, but I don't think you'd need the official auto refinish products to do a pedal.  They don't have to stand up to UV, stones, tree sap, bird droppings, etc. 

I'm going to try this with plain ol' duplicolor and some sparkly flakes from a hobby/craft store.  All you really need is to get the flake stuck in the film while it's still gooey, and then clear over it afterwards.  It should work fine. 

It reminds me of another trick that painters use to get unique finishes on cars...the marbled effect.  You start with a flat black base, then apply a wet coat of a bright topcoat color.  Before the topcoat gets firm or even tacky...while it's still gooey, you take a piece of plastic, like a shopping bag, crumble it up into a ball, open it up, and lay it across the finish.  When you pull it off, you'll remove some of the topcoat, and the black base shows through.  The wrinkled plastic gives it a very realistic marble look.  Very cool. 

GREEN FUZ

I tried the method you describe a few years ago on a guitar. What I found was that the flakes stood proud of the surface leaving a rough texture. In trying to sand it down I removed much of the glittery effect at the same time. If I were to do it again I`d put loads of clearcoat on before sanding.

I`ve no desire to put you off though, I`m genuinely curious to see how you get on.

Good luck.

m-theory

QuoteIf I were to do it again I`d put loads of clearcoat on before sanding.
That's a must.  The 2 part epoxy clear isn't without faults, but one coat is equivalent to 50 coats of varnish, and it would have no problem at all leveling that finish. 

Focalized

This guy made a nice glitter box. Lots of top coat he says. 10 days worth.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7519

jayp5150

Testors (the model people) make a metal flake spray paint. It's about $3 for 3oz, though some colors were $10... supply and demand lol

I don't think it would be as dramatic as above, but it might still be cool.

Guess I'm off to Hobby Lobby... man, and I had a free day today, too...  ;)

searoad

i think i will try the glitter pen/glue. cheap and convenient.
i know that painting is different from spraying... just see how bad it will be ;D