Stoner distortion

Started by gutsofgold, April 08, 2008, 10:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gutsofgold

Quote from: DougH on April 11, 2008, 10:31:29 AM
Seriously- if you are trying to get more of the goods out of your amp for fat sludgy stoner rock- this is the one you want. I use it to get metal tones out of my blues amp. With it only up halfway it is a great "strat fattener" for fluid leads. Turn it up all the way with humbuckers and you will have the 8th sign of the apocalypse coming out of your speakers. On second thought- please don't do that ... I have so much more life I'd like to live...  :icon_mrgreen: Just turn it up half to three-quarters with humbuckers and you'll be in stoner city.

After a recommendation like that I'm going to give this a try.

frank_p

Where is a Unidrive Schematic ?

http://www.univox.org/pics/schematics/unidrive.gif
And the other links are down I think)

:icon_question:

frank_p

Ok I see you have to click a 2nd time on the distorted schematic.
:icon_rolleyes:

Solidhex

Quote from: Dragonfly on April 11, 2008, 10:16:06 AM
Quote from: Solidhex on April 11, 2008, 01:11:31 AM
Running a pretty clean amp like that you'll need something pretty gainy. Buzz from the Melvins' early setup was a Les Paul into a Rat into a Sunn Beta Lead head. Something about that setup accentuates the fuzziness of the Rat that you might not notice in other amps. Its a tone well suited to lower tunings and so called "stoner" music haha. I'd try one out. If you build one get the original IC from Small Bear. Makes a difference I feel.

--Brad

Dude, shut up...you don't know sh*t about "Stoner Rock"....

;) ;D

BTW...everything arrived just fine... I emailed you back ! Thanks again..

Haha I did win a "Doobie Award" recently

--Brad

gutsofgold

Quote from: Solidhex on April 11, 2008, 02:42:08 PM
Running a pretty clean amp like that you'll need something pretty gainy. Buzz from the Melvins' early setup was a Les Paul into a Rat into a Sunn Beta Lead head. Something about that setup accentuates the fuzziness of the Rat that you might not notice in other amps. Its a tone well suited to lower tunings and so called "stoner" music haha. I'd try one out. If you build one get the original IC from Small Bear. Makes a difference I feel.

--Brad

;) ;D

--Brad

Dragonfly, did my parts ship!?

Dragonfly

Quote from: gutsofgold on April 12, 2008, 01:14:35 AM
Quote from: Solidhex on April 11, 2008, 02:42:08 PM

--Brad

;) ;D

--Brad

Dragonfly, did my parts ship!?

PM'd...but yes....

gutsofgold

I never got a pm? odd. but thanks, looking forward to them!

Dragonfly

Quote from: gutsofgold on April 12, 2008, 01:39:16 AM
I never got a pm? odd. but thanks, looking forward to them!

gotta give me time to write it.... check again.

BTW... PM's are better to communicate than random threads ;)

ambulancevoice

Quote from: newb on April 11, 2008, 10:55:18 AM
but with 1 half of a 2n5088 it sounds alot like the big muff siamese dream sound. with half of a germanium transistor it sounds more like a 60s fuzz.

what?
half of a 2n5088?
half a germ?
big muff/60's fuzz sound out of a bazz fuss?????
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

ambulancevoice

Quote from: frank_p on April 11, 2008, 02:15:25 PM
Where is a Unidrive Schematic ?

http://www.univox.org/pics/schematics/unidrive.gif
And the other links are down I think)

:icon_question:

hmmm, i had a look at a japanese ( :icon_mad: :icon_neutral:) data sheet for alot of the 2SC 8** transistors
the 859 has a hfe of 6, and a Pd (power dissipation) of 100mW

frank_p

Yes and also say Mod UD-50.
So I guess it's not the original circuit (?)
Anyway, if someone can confirm ?

newb

Quote from: ambulancevoice on April 12, 2008, 09:33:24 AM
but with 1 half of a 2n5088 it sounds alot like the big muff siamese dream sound. with half of a germanium transistor it sounds more like a 60s fuzz.

what?
half of a 2n5088?
half a germ?
ya use 2 out of the three legs as a diode
try it i have my bazz fuss wired with a 3 way switch with 3 different transistors as diodes.

ambulancevoice

Quote from: newb on April 12, 2008, 04:19:00 PM
Quote from: ambulancevoice on April 12, 2008, 09:33:24 AM

what?
half of a 2n5088?
half a germ?
ya use 2 out of the three legs as a diode
try it i have my bazz fuss wired with a 3 way switch with 3 different transistors as diodes.

oh i see
what transistor did you use as q1? a Darlington?
and did you use the collector and emitter?
i really wanna see if this sounds like you describe

newb

Quote from: ambulancevoice on April 13, 2008, 03:53:38 AM

oh i see
what transistor did you use as q1? a Darlington?
and did you use the collector and emitter?
i really wanna see if this sounds like you describe
Yes i did use a darlington for q1, I originally put a socket in place of the diode on the first one i built. to be honest im not sure which 2 leads i was using i was just blindly using any 2 trying anything and everthing it did not seem like the polarity of the diode made a difference for that matter. They had the same sonic characteristics either way.

Sir H C

What facet of the Stoner rock sound are you going for?  One friend who is deep in the scene uses the Bosstones, Super Fuzzes, Sanford and Sonny Bluebeard (BMP tweak), and Fuzz Faces.  It depends on the sound you want.

Branimir

Hehe Sir HC got it right ;)

I use a FF it's great with tube amps, but beta bass is solidstate, maybe try muffs, opamp one is quite nice, rat is a good try also, if you're using muffs, be sure to have mids much higher on the amplifier, big muffs are midscooped a bit (well alot) and push mids on the amp certainly pushes the guitar in the mix a lot better...

bosstone on the other hand is like a fuzz face on drugs, more harmonics, more sustain, and yet is not mid scooped as a BM... there is a schem of boss fz-2 around here somewhere, check that one out, some say electric wizard sound in a box, but if you're in stoner, man - there are no strict rules - downtune, play loud on a good amp and with a certain style of playing - it's not really important if it's tubescreamer into a JCM800, or a fuzz face into an orange, you can get right down with any piece of gear, some folks lean toward fuzzes for stoner, but some are just straight forward guitar - amp combo with no extra mojo in the path  8)
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

gutsofgold

I'm a big fan of sleep, holy mountain is one of my favorite albums. Not necessarily "thick" sounding but it is quite epic and HUGE sounding.

foxfire

well then you just need about $4000 worth old old tube amps. or do as i do and just build every pedal you think might sound good. in other words stop playing and start building.

gutsofgold

Lotsa green matamps, right? When no one is home I turn up real loud and play through only a tube screamer set to light overdrive and play the intro to Dragonaut over and over and over. What an awesome riff!!!

I'm currently working on a univibe and I've been tossing around the idea of building a big muff tweaked specifically for the tone I have in mind. With all this work though I might have to start a band and a habit .

foxfire

you won't have any money left over for a "habit" if you keep on building.