Stoner distortion

Started by gutsofgold, April 08, 2008, 10:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Branimir

Quote from: gutsofgold on April 13, 2008, 09:09:19 PM
I'm a big fan of sleep, holy mountain is one of my favorite albums. Not necessarily "thick" sounding but it is quite epic and HUGE sounding.
hehe, if i'm not mistaken, that album is Laney AOR, or at least parts of it, since the songs weren't done in session, that explains the difference between songs in sound, holy mountain to me sound much meatier than dragonaut - that sound quite mid scooped to me.. anyways the dopesmoker isn't science fiction, try simplier amps like Bassman, or heh Orange, and a fuzz face, that's the territory... Oh yeah, AOR is a JCM800 sort of a knock off ;)

hey foxfire, i see you're band is playing with HOF in a week or so, that's cool, say hello to them, say the Croatian crew says hello, they've come across at us at some places in Europe :)
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

foxfire

Wild Zebra

Wait a second I'm kinda hungover but did I see the words Stoner rock and Solid State in the same thread???  Man what is this world coming too? Tell you what I made that there fender Blender and that thing is balls to the wall sludge, fuzz, stoned to the bone and all that jazz.  specially for SS since you can "blend" in your clean signal.  Sleep, did someone say the the opening scene to Gummo??
"your stripes are killer bro"

superferrite

Have to agree with the Fuzz Face recommendation for stonalicious goodness, although it doesn't sound like it would work.  I was using BMPs into my silverface Bassman until I discovered the FF>Bad Monkey one-two punch.  Sounds real sludgy but more defined than the Big Muff and the control with the guitar volume is much better.
P-90s help, too.
Psychedelic Garage Metal

gutsofgold

What kind of fuzz face are we talking here? An original clone with germaniums or silicon or what???

superferrite

I have GGG's Boutique Sixties.  It sounded damn good with Silicon, but even better with salvaged Matsushita Ge trannies.
I tried a Sili-face, but it didn't have the sound I wanted.  Go for it.
Psychedelic Garage Metal

gutsofgold

I have some parts arriving soon for a silicon fuzz facish pedal, we'll see how this sounds in front of the sunn head.

Dragonfly

Quote from: gutsofgold on April 14, 2008, 11:47:13 AM
I have some parts arriving soon for a silicon fuzz facish pedal

Yes, you do !  :)

ambulancevoice

Quote from: Wild Zebra on April 14, 2008, 10:47:13 AM
Wait a second I'm kinda hungover but did I see the words Stoner rock and Solid State in the same thread???

it is a SUNN amp though
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Branimir

Quote from: gutsofgold on April 14, 2008, 11:03:17 AM
What kind of fuzz face are we talking here? An original clone with germaniums or silicon or what???
i'm using an axis face silicone, it's dark as any ge FF, but has no temp problems and can be run from an adapter... also transistors are way cheaper and obtainable in a local radio shack so you can breadboard it and swap those 5$ bag of parts till you find the two that suit best!

ps: i think there's no probs with leakage with si transistors so measuring hfe with a regular multimeter is the only measurement you need to do.
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si