Tone control on Rangemaster clone?

Started by luthierwnc, April 13, 2008, 12:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luthierwnc

Hi guys;

I just did the spark-testing on a Rangemaster clone (the Rangeblaster).  Everything went well but there is a little too much high end to go with the preamp bypass on a Dumble clone.  Is there a handy way to rig a bleed trimmer in the circuit to take some of the ultra-highs out?

thanks, Skip

petemoore

a pot and a cap.
  between signal path and ground, after collector is good place for it I think.
  Easy way to tell is test it, but I like to start with the cap, and pick a value that rolls off a slight bit more treble than...desired, then put a large enough value pot in series to make it adjustable, large enough to make a slight bit too much treble.
  More or less as needed here or there.
  .01uf and 10k might do it for you.
  wire the pot using 2 lugs, set it for 0.0ohms, choose the cap by trying values, using the potlug and wire as splice-in point.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

luthierwnc

Thanks,  I'll crack it open and give it a try.  I've occasionally hung a trimmer off a larger bias pot on a tube amp for some extra range and that's also the best place in this build as far as real estate goes.  sh

luthierwnc

I ended up putting a .01 cap into a 25k pot wired as a variable resistor.  Fortunately, I'd put the LED symetrically with the knob so all I had to do was drill a new led hole and the pots lined up well.  Thanks to all!  Skip