Capasitor question!

Started by DanAngus, April 15, 2008, 03:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanAngus

hey Guys,

Im new with all this stuff hahah.

But im looking for a .15uF capacitor(electrolytic)

i cant find it at small bear electronics,

But i can find a 15mf electrolytic capacitor.

i can also find a .15mf PANASONIC capacitor

What should i use????in the parts list, the author said to use a .15 uF electrolytic capacitor(or similar) is the panasonic similar?

AceLuby

uf = mf (google is your friend) and the panasonics should be fine.  Otherwise they are pretty common and can usually be picked up at radio shack if need be.

aron

>But im looking for a .15uF capacitor(electrolytic)

Huh? What parts list? There's a .1uF Film cap.....

DanAngus

The Parts list is

PARTS:

Resistors:

1 - 830kohms
  1 - 10Kohms
  1 - 100Kohms
  1 - 360 ohms

Capacitors

2 - o.15 uF (electrolytic or similar)

Transistor

1 - 2n5088 (commonly found)

Potentiometer(s)

1 - 100kohm log (i prefer Alpha pots)

Other

1 - Hammond 1590BB Alluminium Enclosure
  1 - Switchcraft Mono 1/4" Jack
  1 - Switchcraft Stereo 1/4" Jack
  1 - Carling DPDT Heavy duty Stomp switch
  1 - 9v Battery snap (try to get the hard plastic type,
      the others seem to break off after a few changes).
  1 - Perfboard.a small sized one like at
      small bear's catalog is enough.
  1 - Knob (buy according to the shaft width of the
      potentiometer you bought)
  ? - Wire. 22AWG, solid core makes for easier soldering,
      buy colors!
  1 - Soldering Iron, 20-50w, try to get a "needle" tip.
  ? - Solder, rosin core, a small "tube" coil
      is enough for a box.

and thats good, becuase i ordered the 2 capacitor noted above(in the opening of the topic), and i realized i needed 2! so good thing i can get them at radio shack!

hah
so theres the parts list

DanAngus

Quote from: AceLuby on April 15, 2008, 03:44:24 PM
uf = mf (google is your friend)

google said nothing about that!! thats why i asked, lol. it said no valid info about the two unts.

~Dan

DanAngus

also, will the 15mf capacitor work??

what does the higher number do to the curcuit?

ollie

there can be some confusion as mf can also mean millifarad rather than micro farad but I doubt you will see many of those about here as they have generally no use in these types of circuits
The duty of youth is to challenge corruption.

DanAngus

Quote from: ollie on April 15, 2008, 08:59:24 PM
there can be some confusion as mf can also mean millifarad rather than micro farad but I doubt you will see many of those about here as they have generally no use in these types of circuits
yea thats what my science teacher said at my school, milli and micro.

AceLuby

Quotealso, will the 15mf capacitor work??

It should... be sure it's electrolytic.  Electrolytic is a type of capacitor, Panasonic is a brand.  If it isn't elctrolytic just go to radio shack and pick one up from their component bins.  It should be fairly common.  I built my entire first pedal w/ components from RS.

Quotegoogle said nothing about that!! thats why i asked, lol. it said no valid info about the two unts.

What did you type in google.  I typed 'capacitor uf mf' and the second link was a conversion chart showing mf = uf

aron

Can you show us the schematic? BTW: I thought you were talking about the beginner project which is what this forum is for. I am moving this to the main section.

DanAngus

Quote from: aron on April 16, 2008, 02:50:10 PM
Can you show us the schematic? BTW: I thought you were talking about the beginner project which is what this forum is for. I am moving this to the main section.

Yes i will show it.. below. but its not a normal schematic, its a very graphic one, its like cartooned. to make it easier for beginners.

and yes, im sorry for putting the topic in the wrong place(i thought it was a similar project)

But thanks for moving it.

It should... be sure it's electrolytic.  Electrolytic is a type of capacitor, Panasonic is a brand.  If it isn't elctrolytic just go to radio shack and pick one up from their component bins.  It should be fairly common.  I built my entire first pedal w/ components from RS.

it is electrolytic..and i need to get one more of either of the 2 capacitors, because i forgot to order 2 of each... so i can use either.. what do you think will work better? or sound better?

SCHEMATIC

aron

If it's really .15uF, then use film or similar, not electrolytic.

DanAngus

the schematic is located at

http://smallbox.zeonhost.com/projects/lpb1/

sorry i couldnt upload the picture
Quote from: aron on April 16, 2008, 04:07:24 PM
If it's really .15uF, then use film or similar, not electrolytic.

and yea, i dont really know, because he said to use a .15 uF electrolytic(or similar) capacitor. as it says in the parts list.. so what should i use??

panasonic 15mf capacitor

.15mf electrolytic capacitor

or .15 film capacitor

DanAngus

wait, i messed that up at the end

.15mf panasonic capacitor

15mf electrolytic capacitor

or

.15mf film capacitor.

i was asked for a .15uF electrolytic(or similar) capacitor on the parts list.

slacker

It doesn't matter what sort of capacitor you use so long as it's 0.15uF. Film is probably easier than electrolytic because electrolytic are polarised so you have to put them in the correct way round, with film in doesn't matter so it's one less thing to get wrong :)

Panasonic is just a brand not a type of capacitor, they are probably film capacitors.

By the way welcome to the board :)

DanAngus

Quote from: slacker on April 16, 2008, 04:35:26 PM
It doesn't matter what sort of capacitor you use so long as it's 0.15uF. Film is probably easier than electrolytic because electrolytic are polarised so you have to put them in the correct way round, with film in doesn't matter so it's one less thing to get wrong :)

Panasonic is just a brand not a type of capacitor, they are probably film capacitors.

By the way welcome to the board :)

Thank you! :D you answered my question in one post! thanks alot.

also, how do you know where everything is supposed to go? like i know what order, by the schematic, but where exactly on the board?

thanks alot

~Dan :)