News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tonepad Wah

Started by liddokun, April 15, 2008, 10:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liddokun

So, I have an orignal Crybaby GCB95 wah, and I was wondering how this sounds in comparison with the Wah circuit that Francisco has
down on Tonepad.  The basic wah circuit. How would that sound compared to a stock crybaby? Better? Worse?  Because I was thinking of making the wah pcb from Tonepad and replacing the crybaby one.
Anyone made one before?
Any opinions?
Thanks
To those about to rock, we salute you.

petemoore

So, I have an orignal Crybaby GCB95 wah,
  Does it look like it is easy to work on?
  and I was wondering how this sounds in comparison with the Wah circuit that Francisco has
down on Tonepad.

I cant' say other than similar'.
  The basic wah circuit. How would that sound compared to a stock crybaby?
  Better? Worse?
  Yes I think so, I can't give an opinion.
  Because I was thinking of making the wah pcb from Tonepad and replacing the crybaby one.
  If it gives improved facility to modify, getting the unit smoothed out to your preference...might be enough weight to help with the decision. I would inspect the CB innards to see what the input/output jacks look like, I haven't worked on the newer ones IIUC some have jacks soldered in PCB...not sure if this would present 'mechanical problems with the jacks.
Anyone made one before?
  The CB is a wah sound. I like wah sounds, have a new CB w/red fasel, I think it'd be like many sounds I used/liked/lost, and wish I had again.
  With that and the fact that I assume the CB works in mind, consider a second wah shell.
  I have a V847 [modded up 'n down], which is a different horse than the CB,
  Pretty sure I read reports on the tonepad wah, all the projects at Tonepad are verified.
  Any opinions?
  'Not the right' inductor is enough to stump a great wah tone.
   Some wahs 'whakka wahkka' or 'Shaft-tone' [CB kills my V847 for that right now] more than others I believe a lot of that has to do with a 'fast' sweep pot, Q width, sweep range etc.
  My CB/RF would have been super cool once maybe except it came with a crap-pot...dahh, great %^&*ed wah setting and sounds good with the fuzz on...prehaps I disassemblit off my PB and de-oxit the pot one day.
   Tons of them, read all about inductors and wah pots, Q caps and 6-way input cap voicing mods, output buffers and transistors, as well as...making your own wah case [recommended only for the experienced or...adventurous].

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

trjones1

I didn't make the tonepad wah, but I used the GGG to completely rebuild my Crybaby.  That layout has room for trimmers so that you can fine tune the resistances to get the sound you like.  It's really flexible.  But, I have to say, the sound of your wah will be mostly determined by the components you use, especially the inductor and the rocker pot.  Most wah circuits are pretty much the same, so these components will make the difference between one and the other.

liddokun

Yea,
My crybaby has a stock inductor in it.  I was planning on putting a Fasel Red inductor in it, and use the pot the crybaby came with (hot potz 2).  So I guess there would not really be a sound difference other than a variable "q" trim pot?
To those about to rock, we salute you.