News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tools

Started by demonstar, April 16, 2008, 05:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demonstar

I seem to be gathering quite a few tools now and I think it's time to bring them together and get a toolbox. I've been searching and there's not a lot on tools around here and I just wondered what you guys consider essential tools?

You know what it's like if I get a tool box I'll want to pad it out!  ;)

Currently I have...
multimeter
mini side cutters
mini normal plier things
soldering iron
croc clips
IC extractor
Calculator

I borrow my dads...
Drill
Screw drivers
Files
Stanley knife

I think thats the lot.

Does anyone use these wire striper things?
"http://images.google.co.uk/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLR_enGB245GB245&q=wire+strippers&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi"
Are they worth getting? I've always just used sidecuters.

"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

Pushtone

I don't think I could live with out it.

I use it for some many things.

Got it from Radio Shack (online)
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

demonstar

QuoteInsert Quote

What is it? A non-electric drill? (one of those push down to operate ones)
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

jefe

Yeah, get some simple wire strippers, you'll be glad you did.

The drill is called a pin vise. It's not the kind you push down on to operate, you just spin the whole thing between your fingers. It's great for making pcb holes bigger when you suddenly realize that your diodes have reaaaaly fat leads.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: jefe on April 16, 2008, 06:19:29 PM
The drill is called a pin vise. It's not the kind you push down on to operate, you just spin the whole thing between your fingers. It's great for making pcb holes bigger when you suddenly realize that your diodes have reaaaaly fat leads.

And it is the best thing in the universe for cutting stripboard traces. If it will take a large enough drill bit.

gaussmarkov

one of my faves is an "automatic" center punch.  mark hammer once mentioned these in a thread.  they are spring loaded and make a nice dimple in a pcb for drilling holes.  you place the tip of the punch in the appropriate spot and press.  it makes an accurate mark.

this one is from snapon, which makes quality stuff.

another item i like is hex nut drivers.  they make tightening and loosening pots and jacks very easy.

jefe

Another good one that I recently picked up was a bicycle dumbell wrench, on a tip from this thread.

Fits all those jacks & pots, and most switches. I paid $2.99 with a cheap tire repair kit.

rikkards

Completely offtopic for the forum but somewhat ontopic for the thread (technically it is a tool). I bought this today:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=59411&cat=52&ap=1
Can you tell where my mind is lately?  :icon_biggrin:
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

Pushtone

QuoteInsert Quote

Quote from: demonstar on April 16, 2008, 06:14:34 PM

What is it? A non-electric drill? (one of those push down to operate ones)

Sorry for the terse reply, have more time now.

Just a mini hand drill you twist yourself.
There's a chuck at one end and it holds an assortment of bits in the handle.

Good for probing (I clip my meter to it with an alligator clip),
Good for cutting traces. Good for missed pads.

The bits are sized for PCB and have come in very handy when if I come upon a pad I missed on the drill press.
Who wants to put their half populated PCB on the press for a missed pad.

But most of the time I have the sharpened pointer/scratcher bit on.
Its hard steel, sharpened point. Very handy tool.

Sadly the RS web site does not list it anymore, but I found similar hand drills with bits for PCBs on UK sites.
But no sharpened pointer, dam, thats the sweetest plum! I wonder if Steve could source this one???

selectortone

Quote from: jefe on April 16, 2008, 09:23:28 PM
Another good one that I recently picked up was a bicycle dumbell wrench, on a tip from this thread.

Fits all those jacks & pots, and most switches. I paid $2.99 with a cheap tire repair kit.

+1.

I read that thread too and got one. Really useful!

demonstar

Wow, I'll keep my eyes open for them things when I'm out and about. Ever since I first saw all the tools lined up in the shop I've been fascinated looking through them ever since.  ::)

A thing I found was instead of those expensive "third hand" holder things, I just got a washing peg and nailed it to a little wooden block and I was away.

rikkards

Not sure if it would fit but couldn't you scavenge the pointer out of a cheap compass "(think drawing circles" compass not "where is north") although that may not be maded of a hard material.

Quote from: Pushtone on April 17, 2008, 02:23:56 AM

Sadly the RS web site does not list it anymore, but I found similar hand drills with bits for PCBs on UK sites.
But no sharpened pointer, dam, thats the sweetest plum! I wonder if Steve could source this one???

Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen

demonstar

QuoteCompletely offtopic for the forum but somewhat ontopic for the thread (technically it is a tool). I bought this today:
Can you tell where my mind is lately? 

Ha ha, great idea!

Oe more thing I really must keep my eyes open for and O-scope. Better save up and keep checking ebay. those handheld ones look nice. :P

bkanber

I use this automatic wire stripper:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062787&cp=&sr=1&origkw=wire+stripper&kw=wire+stripper&parentPage=search

It's by far my favorite tool, and absolutely worth the $16. Stripping wires isnt exactly hard, but this just makes it SO easy.
Burak

ayayay!

Get strippers spring loaded when applicable:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92348

The Ideal brand strippers are good too, but don't offer the "fine tuning" of the one above.  Also, the Ideals are better with the thicker handles. 

Also these Plato side cutters are invaluable to me:

http://www.techspray.com/newinfo/Ergonomic%20Cutter%20Brochure%20PDF.pdf?bcsi_scan_4012CCBD6C63F55B=0&bcsi_scan_filename=Ergonomic%20Cutter%20Brochure%20PDF.pdf

Lastly the "third hand" soldering stand is literally that: an extra hand!  I couldn't live without it. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

znowman

demonstar

Looks like I'll be getting some wire strippers. I'll double check my dad doesn't have some I can 'twock' first.  :D

I wonder if harbur freight will ship to the U.K. because they are so cheap and seem to have such good deals especially with about $2 to the £1. I could get a fair few tools off them for not much. (exchange rate is good for brits but not so clever for the environment mind ;))

Pushtone

I remember from another "tools" thread, buddy fashioned himself a PCB vice (for soldering the board)
using two blocks of wood with a grove cut into one edge and a rubber band.

Brilliant!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=38598.0

Mick Bailey

Quote from: rikkards on April 16, 2008, 09:29:16 PM
Completely offtopic for the forum but somewhat ontopic for the thread (technically it is a tool). I bought this today:

Hey - they don't include the bag! What a deal-breaker......

rikkards

:)

10 bags later, I can say it works. You really only need about 2-3 armfuls of leaves before you don't need it for that specific bag but it makes it a lot less of an annoyance. Now I need to get the lawn aerated. Sigh.

Quote from: Mick Bailey on April 18, 2008, 04:08:57 PM
Quote from: rikkards on April 16, 2008, 09:29:16 PM

Hey - they don't include the bag! What a deal-breaker......