STOMPBOX IN A GUITAR QUESTION

Started by ljoe1969, April 21, 2008, 10:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljoe1969

I wanna build a fuzz for my first project.

My question is can i put it inside my guitar and use a push pull pot to switch between the effect and my clean guitar sounds?

also can i use the same volume for the effect and clean guitar?

the guitar is a Epiphone Les Paul 2006 model.

Mark Hammer

You can, and it has been done before, but do take a moment to stop and consider if that is the location you want to put the effect in question.

Ideally, you want:

a) to avoid having to strip hole threads by unscrewing things to replace batteries (remediable with installation of a "battery door" or use of a low-current-drain effect that only requires battery replacement once a year)

b) something where being limited to fewer (rather than more) controls is not a problem for you

c) to avoid omething you plan to turn on and off a lot (while your feet are unemployed and your hands have better things to do)

d) something that you plan to regularly have at the very beginning of your signal chain, and have no plans to stick after some other effect

Those considerations can often place no real restriction on the builder, but sometimes they do, and instantly put the kybosh on what sounded like a great idea at the time.

Think over what you need, and make the decision that is right for your needs.

axg20202

Mark has covered this well, but I would just come out and say...don't do it.  ;D

Each time your setup changes, which it probably will, you'll be forever tinkering with it and I bet you will find that having a built in effect is less, as opposed to more, versatile. The beauty of outboard effects in individual stomp boxes is that you can swap in/out and change effect order at will with very little hassle. I know I change the configuration of my pedalboard all the time. Having a fuzz stuck at the beginning of the chain will end up being a pain or would quite simply be left switched off. I bet you'd end up rehousing it in a stomp box before long, with the hassle of having to reconfigure your guitar's wiring again and undo any other physical changes you made to the guitar.

drewl

Easy to do but I agree with mark, not worth it.
Here's a Vox from the 60's I had to repair......talk about a nightmare:\
Built in Fuzz, wah, bass/treble boost, repeat percussion ???

Mark Hammer

I don't want to be too much of a party pooper, so I will mention that a number of the MANY people in past who raised the very same question here often ended up planning to insert some effect/s in what they described as "a beater".  They didn't mention it at first, but when that tidbit eventually came out, folks were a little more encouraging of trying the experiment out.  Certainly feel free to experiment with a 2nd or 3rd or even 5th guitar.  If it is your principle instrument, though, you may want to be a little more conservative.  In this case, the axe you mention seems like a "principle instrument".  You certainly don't need to keep it absolutely pristine, but I think you are better advised to try out what you initially suggested on a $89 guitar.

ljoe1969

thanks,

this is my primary guitar.

after thinking about it for a while  you are right i probably shouldn't add this to my primary guitar.

ljoe

Mark Hammer

Well, once you win the "Powerball" lottery, and you switch your Epiphone for a 59 'Burst, c'mon back and ask your question again. :icon_wink:

For now, as cool as onboard stuff can seem, stompbox effects are generally best situated inside a box on the floor or somewhere equally strategic and maleable, where you can power them with battery OR wallwart, where you can drill hole after hole to install more controls and toggles, and where yu can stick your fuzz before your wah or after it if you feel like a change.

Ed G.

Quote from: drewl on April 21, 2008, 11:58:05 AM
Easy to do but I agree with mark, not worth it.
Here's a Vox from the 60's I had to repair......talk about a nightmare:\
Built in Fuzz, wah, bass/treble boost, repeat percussion ???

A friend had one of those! I had never seen another one like it! The wah was hand-activated. It was too cool.

analogmike

It can be fun to do if there's room. THis was installed in a Les Paul with no permanent mods:

DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

kurtlives

Build it in a tiny box and attach it to your guitar strap? ???
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

theblueark

Planning and layout is essential.

Here's mine I installed with 3 effects, for smaller gigs so I don't have to bring my board around.