741 - Just salvaged some! Any specific build ideas?

Started by frequencycentral, April 21, 2008, 11:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Today i salvaged 8 UA741CP and one MC1741 from an old piece of disco gear from 1977 that I was given - they were even in sockets, so no need to desolder them.

I know that there are certain circuits which make use of their particular foibles - such as in the EMS VCS3 (Putney) synth.

Can anyone suggest a specific build I could use them for? Or should I just use them as general purpose opamps?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

SonicVI

Overdrive/distorions such as the DOD 250 and MXR Distortion + spring to mind.

drewl

Agreed, for some reason the 741 sounds better in a Distortion+ than a 4558 IMO.

Branimir

Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

bipedal

Quote. . . from an old piece of disco gear from 1977 . . .

The question must be asked: what was it?

"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

frequencycentral

Quote from: bipedal on April 21, 2008, 12:24:33 PM
Quote. . . from an old piece of disco gear from 1977 . . .

The question must be asked: what was it?

Hahaha! It was two horrible record decks with a built in mixer - I also saved some cool 70's knobs!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Electron Tornado

Ditto the Dist + or OD250. The Dist + and OD250 are almost identical circuits.

Here's a project I have planned for a 741 I have.

Try out several diode combinations in both hard clipping and soft clipping, and see what sounds best. Have the diodes selectable with a swtich and use  DPDT switch to select between soft and hard clipping. I have seen one or two circuits that have both soft and hard clipping going on at the same time, so I will try some combinations with that. While it might sound really terrible, it'll be fun to experiment. I have a tone stack that worked really well in another pedal that I will try in this one as well. Look at where the Dist + and OD250 are different and try different component values there. Lastly, to octave or not to octave, that is the question.

It's going to be a while before I get to this, but let us know what you build and how it sounds.   :icon_smile:
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

nokaster

red fuzz
roger mayer mongoose
roger mayer spitfire
hotcake

are all possible i guess...

Mick Bailey

The Clip-O-Rama is a design I worked on some time ago as a development of the Blue Clipper. Very versatile and works nicely with a 741 as well as LF351. The .022uf cap across the level pot may be removed or adjusted, depending on taste, but I found it tames some of the excessive highs from some single coil pickups. Pretty responsive overall and a good range of tones. The hard clipping from the diodes is not strictly necessary, but I wanted a pedal that would work in a wide range of situations and be easy and inexpensive to build.

http://www.avwz35.dsl.pipex.com/clip-o-rama.jpg 

markm

I've always been a BIG promoter of the OD250. Probably one of the best OD circuits IMO!!

mnordbye

General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

AceLuby

I also have a few of these and am making a DOD 250 clone w/ a pot to control the clipping threshold and a switch between diode types

cab42

I like the ROG Tube Reamer v. 1 very much. It uses a 741. The current version (2.0) uses a dual opamp.

Other options are the Guyatone Zoom or Vox 1901.

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

petemoore

I have a phase90 with SOA sockets all over the board, all 741's, it works great.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.