Tonepad Offboard Wiring Help

Started by mattpas, April 23, 2008, 09:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattpas

I just finished up a Tube Hex Fuzz and followed the Offboard Wiring for a 3PDT switch here:
http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=76  (Page 5)
The pedal goes on but no sound comes out. You can hear the normal hiss from the pedal if you have the gain cranked but no signal is passed (I think it might be the input since there is sound).
When you turn the pedal off (having a battery for power) the LED slowly fades out.
Has anyone else come across this?
Are there any updates or fixes to the Layout?
Some other pedal layouts have the battery and adapter negative go to the ring on the input where Tonepad has the adapter negtative go to the sleeve or shield.
Any help would be appreciated.

tskullt

Hey Mattpas,
   I use that, it works just great.  Check the orientation of the switch, I had a similar experience and I wired the switch with it rotated 90 degrees...
m.
http://www.pedalenclosures.com
* make all the other pedals jealous *

mattpas

Quote from: tskullt on April 23, 2008, 09:38:42 AM
Hey Mattpas,
   I use that, it works just great.  Check the orientation of the switch, I had a similar experience and I wired the switch with it rotated 90 degrees...
m.

I have the switch in correctly (all lugs are — not this way  ׀ ) so that is fine.
I just can't figure it out. i might have to unsolder and resolder... ugh.

MikeH

Sounds like you need to make yourself an audio probe.  It will track down the problem in no time.

And it doesn't matter if the DC ground goes to the ring or sleeve.  The battery must go to the ring to disconnect the power when unplugged, but with a dc jack it doesn't matter.  And the LED fading is because of the power supply filter cap.  When you cut the power it slowly drains out, causing the LED to fade out too,
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

mattpas

Quote from: MikeH on April 23, 2008, 10:22:02 AM
Sounds like you need to make yourself an audio probe.  It will track down the problem in no time.

And it doesn't matter if the DC ground goes to the ring or sleeve.  The battery must go to the ring to disconnect the power when unplugged, but with a dc jack it doesn't matter.  And the LED fading is because of the power supply filter cap.  When you cut the power it slowly drains out, causing the LED to fade out too,

How do you make one, use one, and what does an audio probe do?

bipedal

Yes, I've always used that Tonepad routing for wiring 3pdt switches -- works well, but there are a lot of connections to keep track of, so I've found it helpful to double-check everything and cross off each connection as I wire it.  For me, wiring the 3pdt is typically my least-favorite part of my builds...

Pedal works okay if you bypass the stomp switch?
"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

mattpas

Quote from: bipedal on April 23, 2008, 10:29:08 AM
Yes, I've always used that Tonepad routing for wiring 3pdt switches -- works well, but there are a lot of connections to keep track of, so I've found it helpful to double-check everything and cross off each connection as I wire it.  For me, wiring the 3pdt is typically my least-favorite part of my builds...

Pedal works okay if you bypass the stomp switch?
Yeah with the pedal off signal passes fine.

MikeH

Just do a search for "audio probe" and you should find it.  Basically it's a male phone jack (you can buy one or just cut a patch cable in half) with one lead wired to the sleeve (or the "shielding") which you also connect to the ground on your build (helps to solder an alligator clip to this lead) and then another lead wired from the tip which also gets soldered to one leg of a 0.1uf cap (or something close).  Anyhoo, plug a guitar into the input and plug the probe into an amp (On low volume!  I cannot stress this enough).  Have a friend play guitar (or plug in your atari punk console, a walkman, a key board with a brick on the keys, etc., you get the idea.  Something that makes a constant sound) and connect the probe "shield" to your circuit ground and probe with the exposed leg of the 0.1uf cap.  Start at the input and follow the signal path.  When the signal stops, you've found the problem, errrr... first problem.   ;)

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH