water slide decal

Started by Grizz, April 23, 2008, 09:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizz

Can you buy water slide decal in sheets that work in your printer? And will it work in a laser printer?

Grizz

MikeH

I used to use the inkjet variety, which worked out ok.  I think they have special types for laserjet printers because the inkjet stuff can melt in a laserjet printer.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

bipedal

Yes.  Small Bear carries decal sheets for ink jet printers and laser jet printers -- you can find them elsewhere too.

For ink jet decal sheets, it's critical to clear coat the decals after printing (several coats), otherwise the ink runs/smudges badly when you dip the decal in water.

Much less of a problem with laser-printed decal sheets, in my experience...
"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

Grizz

I would think you could get them at hobby store that sells model airplane and cars.

Electron Tornado

What kind of clear coat are you using on ink jet pages?

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

danielzink

QuoteWhat kind of clear coat are you using on ink jet pages?

Krylon for me.

treadwm

DecalPaper.com

25 laser decal sheets for $26.35 incl shipping. They just arrived today!

Grizz

Treadwm...I would like to see some pictures of the finished product.

DanAngus

Quote from: treadwm on April 23, 2008, 08:21:21 PM
DecalPaper.com

how long does it take to ship

Mick Bailey

Mick Bailey

Oops! should read Lazertran. There are two version, one for laser, one for inkjet. Plenty of postings on this forum regarding use.

cpnyc23

I use Lazertran Inkjet paper in an inkjet printer.  I've never once clear coated before soaking in water.  I usually let the sheet dry for a few hours.

Of the many many decals I've used, never once have they run.

Perhaps it is the printer?

-Chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

treadwm

Quote from: DanAngus on April 24, 2008, 07:43:20 AM
Quote from: treadwm on April 23, 2008, 08:21:21 PM
DecalPaper.com

how long does it take to ship

It took about 4 days to get to Maine.

treadwm

Quote from: Grizz on April 24, 2008, 12:21:05 AM
Treadwm...I would like to see some pictures of the finished product.

Just put the color coat on today (red Metalcast on a mostly polished aluminum case). It'll be a bit before I get to the decal but I'll post when I do.

cpnyc23

Treadwm - i love the look of the metalcast .  Very smooth and even work.  Nice job!

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

treadwm

Thanks. It turned out better than expected. The box prep was a lot of work. I sanded up to 1500 grit and polished with red/white rouge on a felt wheel. The more polished the surface, the better the translucent result.

I also tested it on alum sanded to 400 grit in one direction (to get the Zippo lighter brushed look) and sanded with a 2" disc sander. Over the brushed alum it was ok. On the 2nd, I sanded continuous arcs with 150grit discs. Pretty coarse. The result was interesting and odd. In bright sunshine, the combo of red Metalcast and the arcs gave it a cool 3-D quilted maple look. But if you changed the angle it turned really dark. Inside the effect was much less pronounced. Not my thing but food for thought for someone else.