2.1 DC Connectors

Started by { antonio }, April 23, 2008, 05:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

{ antonio }

What 2.1 mm DC connectors do you use.  Thanks in advance!!!
shalom + godspeed.  antonio.
www.myspace.com/magnificat

kurtlives

Started with the standard internal nut ones....wasn't good for a n00b.
Went to these really neat metal ones...took me a while to figure out they were shorting out on the enclosure.
Went to external nut jacks...they look lame.
Now I am back to the internal nut jacks.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

ConanB

I now use these:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=93

I did start with all metal external nut ones before I too realised I was shorting everything and killed my DIY powersupply with them, so changed to the plastic and never looked back.

BTW, anyone want a bunch of metal external nut DC jacks?  :icon_cool:

Processaurus

With the internal nut DC jacks, where you have to desolder it to get it out of the box, I recently started to make a little ring of wire with a little tail coming off, (imagine a Q shape) solder the grip of ground wires to the ring, then the tail to the jack, that way it's easier to unsolder (and murphy's law, you will).

I found these cool little insulated DC jacks in Tokyo that are as small as the metal ones, and have a metal lining.  Only thing is that they do not have any switching, so they're strictly for non battery boxes.  They'd make a nice small bear item though.

andrew_k

Quote from: Processaurus on April 23, 2008, 09:24:45 PM
I found these cool little insulated DC jacks in Tokyo that are as small as the metal ones, and have a metal lining.  Only thing is that they do not have any switching, so they're strictly for non battery boxes.  They'd make a nice small bear item though.

I'd be keen on getting some of those as I don't include battery snaps in the pedals I build for myself.

Rodgre

I recently found those small snap-in DC jacks without the switching as well. For my own builds that rarely, if ever run on a battery, they've been decent. I have to make sure not to make the hole in the enclosure too big, as to keep it snug when it snaps in. I learned my lesson with my first use of them, as the jack popped out a few times when I unplugged it. Nothing a little gob of silicone can't help.

I also think the DC jacks with the nut on the outside looks awful. I fear that the nut will loosen after a few gigs as well. The only one I've used had a good coating of Loc-Tite on it to keep it honest.

Bottom line, my vote still goes to the above-mentioned internal nut jacks that Small Bear sells.

Roger

head_spaz

Mouser has some TWIST LOCK connectors that are really cool.
(They offer some in 2.5mm also)

Kobiconn DC Power Connectors - Locking Style
2.1 mm
Jack # 163-1000-EX
use with Plug # 171-0721-EX, (brass)
or cheaper version # 171-0722-E (phosphor bronze)
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

fuzzfarmer

I ordered the internal nut, "boss style", DC Jack, and was sent the external nut one.  Anybody happen to know if the diameter for the hole in the enclosure would be the same?  I was wanting to go ahead and drill and use this one, until I get the internal nut one.

EDIT: This one looks like its about half an inch in diameter. 

DougH

QuoteWent to these really neat metal ones...took me a while to figure out they were shorting out on the enclosure.

I just went through a similar process... Ha! :icon_mrgreen:

I love the look of the metal ones, but I think it would be a PITA to insulate them with insulating washers etc. I don't like the look of the plastic ones but I guess I'm going back to those...

Luckily on my last build I had a standard 1/8" phone jack which fit in the hole I drilled for the metal DC jack. Just used the 1/8" plug on my onespot and it's a done deal...
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

fuzzfarmer

anyone? come on now, its my b-day and I want to get started.

DougH

You need to contact whoever you ordered it from and ask them.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

ayayay!

Radio Shack used to have those that looked like the Kobiconn ones, only they had a plastic nut.  2 for $1.99 I think.  They've subbed them out now with metal ones that are too big.  Looks like it back to the Kobiconns for me.    :(
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

fuzzfarmer

Quote from: DougH on August 03, 2008, 11:32:34 AM
You need to contact whoever you ordered it from and ask them.

Sounds easy enough, but I sent two emails about the mistake, and got no response.

How about this...Does anybody know if this part, http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=93 ,fits a half inch in diameter hole?

ayayay!

QuoteDoes anybody know if this part, http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=93 ,fits a half inch in diameter hole?

Yes, that part will fit a 1/2 inch hole.  I usually have to ream the hole just a wee bit to make it fit better, but 1/2 inch is the size drillbit I use for that exact part. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.