build your own Boss FS-6 dual footswitch (sort of)

Started by kingnimrod, April 23, 2008, 11:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingnimrod

okay, this is not really the same thing as the FS-6 because it doesn't use a battery, is smaller, can't switch polarity, and can't switch to latching.

BUT, for those of you looking to control your Boss RC-50 or other loop station, this does the trick for much less money. Hopefully this will help somebody out...

greigoroth

Cool!

I've got an RC-2 and was thinking about building a switch for it. It says that you can use the FS-5 or FS-6 - my question is what is the advantage of having the extra momentary switch (that the FS-6/ your design has)? Do the switches control different functions? How does the RC-2 (or whichever pedal) differentiate between the inputs from the 2 switches?

Cheers!
Built: GGG Green Ringer

ayayay!

I would also incorporate it in maybe a slightly larger box for 3 switches to accomodate the reverse function as well on the RC-20xl.  But still, thank you for the excellent diagram and idea!   ;D

The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

kingnimrod

for the RC-20, You'd want to do a slightly larger box and add a single mono jack connected to a momentary switch for the reverse function.

I own an RC-50, which has two stereo inputs for control functions, allowing you to control up to 4 parameters. My design effectively replicates the FS-6 in terms of how you'd use it with the RC-50.

I'm not sure what inputs the RC-2 has. If the control input is stereo, then you could control 2 functions with this pedal. If not, then just build a single mono jack / switch combo. Or, you could house two buttons and two jacks in case you wanted to have foot control for more than one piece of gear in a small footprint.

I have built another one of these, consisting of 2 buttons, a stereo jack, and a mono jack. One of the buttons is connected to both jacks. I've successfully used it in controlling the tap tempo on my RC-500 and DD-20 delay simultaneously with a single button.

In any case, if you don't need the latching function, this is a simple and cheap build that will save you money and floor space.

kingnimrod

forgot to mention I use 2 of these with the RC-50. I may build a long skinny one with 4 switches.

ayayay!

Quotefor the RC-20, You'd want to do a slightly larger box and add a single mono jack connected to a momentary switch for the reverse function.

Uhh, isn't that what I said?    :D
QuoteI would also incorporate it in maybe a slightly larger box for 3 switches to accomodate the reverse function as well on the RC-20xl
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.