Introducing the M.O.A.B

Started by MicFarlow77, April 24, 2008, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MicFarlow77

Nope, this is not the "Mother Of All Bombs", but instead:

the "Mother Of All Boxes"

I built Constantin a pair of these beauties. I have been wanting to do a large enclosure for some time, but did'nt have a need to. Constantin fixed that for me and these are a result. The builds went pretty well all things considered, but there were several challenges.

Dimensions are 14" wide and 6.5" deep, inside dimensions.

Many Many Thanks to Constantin for his patience! I really appreciate it!

Here are some pics:

Not one to stop a good thing while it is going, I decided to see if I could pull something else off I have been wanting to do for a while now as well.

The following pics are not for the faint of heart.

You may want to keep the children away......

Please do not show the wife......

This one will be going on sale in the proper forum when I have a chance to get that post sorted out a little later tonight. There is a neat story to go along with this one that will result in a reduced price for it, but I will save that for the other post. :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Matter of fact, I have 3 of these I will be selling... one is just like this and the other two do not have tops on them, so I can make then Diamond Plate or regular, depends on who may want them....

Many Thanks,

Mick

darron

wow. does it need reinforcing in the middle? :P

great stuff. if you wired that up you could replace your whole pedal board.... not a bad idea actually... hmmm :D
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

MicFarlow77

Hey Darron,

The tops of the non-recessed are different for the two I made for Constantin. One is .080 and the other is .125. Neither of them need any reinforcing and personally, I think the .125 is a bit overkill, though there is something to be said for doing an entire one out of .125.

If they did not have the bends in them, they would flex a little, but not so much with the bends in them. I suppose if you wailed on it and jumped on it and really mistreated it, you could possibly have issues, but for normal wear and tear, no problems.

The Diamond Plate versions are .063 and are as strong as the .080 because of the 102 degree bend at the top.

Thanks,

Mick

John Lyons

Nice!
The large size is great for multi effect units.
The diamond plate is a little garish for my tastes but good to have as an option.
As always, dig the curved corners.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

juse

Good job, Mick! You got ya a winner there. Looks like it would easily fit into a briefcase. Screw a wah into the end of it & someone could have most of the bases covered.  :icon_wink:

MicFarlow77

Thanks for the comments

Yeah John, these will easily accomodate 4 circuits at the least. Even more if you laid it out well.

I did check to see if the stomp switch washers would fit nicely in the diamond pattern and as you can tell in the picture, both the plastic and metal ones are perfect fits.

The toe height on these is also high enough that you can put the switch real close to the front edge to make even more room for circuit boards.

The recessed part is deep enough to hold a ton of knobs and switches.

I was initially going to put diamond plate on the recessed part, but decided it really limited the amount of knobs and switchs you could get in there, so I went with the normal flat stuff back there.. I think it was the right decision.

I think at 14.25 inches, it will easily fit in a briefcase. It will also easily fit into one of them aluminum clad tool cases you can get at Lowes. I have even seen them at some truckstops.

Thanks all,

Mick

kurtlives

Roughly how much would one of these go for?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

blues_mang

Wow, Mick.... just wow.  That diamond plated one is the cat's ass. What I wouldn't give to get my hands on one of those.
If you ain't gots da blues in yo shoes, then you got a hole in ya soul.

darron

Quote from: blues_mang on April 24, 2008, 11:21:34 PM
Wow, Mick.... just wow.  That diamond plated one is the cat's ass. What I wouldn't give to get my hands on one of those.

he said they will be on sale... so money should do the trick?
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

MicFarlow77

Quote from: darron on April 24, 2008, 11:33:22 PM
Quote from: blues_mang on April 24, 2008, 11:21:34 PM

he said they will be on sale... so money should do the trick?

Yup, A little cash is all you will need....   :icon_biggrin:

Barcode80

i will buy a diamond one, fyi

liddokun

Those look awesome!
Mic, you know what would really be cool if you built one of those with a rocker pedal attached to one side.  Then it could be built into one multieffects
stompbox.  :icon_biggrin:
To those about to rock, we salute you.

ambulancevoice

i can just picture the diamond one stuffed with high gain distortions and fuzzes, like big muffs and mashall shredmasters and dr boogeys and yeah
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

MicFarlow77

Hi All,

Many Thanks for the comments.

The one pictured here is on sale here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=67323.0

Please see above thread for pricing and additional information about the one pictured here.

Quote from: liddokun on April 25, 2008, 07:33:59 AM
Those look awesome!
Mic, you know what would really be cool if you built one of those with a rocker pedal attached to one side.  Then it could be built into one multieffects
stompbox.  :icon_biggrin:

As for a rocker pedal.. I have been kinda thinking about that. I am just not sure I can source the parts for the gearing.... If I had that, I might be able to prototype something up.. it's hard to tell without the additional parts handy. I really don't think I could fabricate all the extra parts by hand.

Quote from: Michael Allen on April 25, 2008, 01:18:33 AM
how do you make these?

As far as how I make them.. well, it's a rather long process, involves about 15 different steps, but in general, I take flat 3003-H14 aluminium alloy and first form the sides. Next comes making the bottom plate. Then I weld in all the parts needed to fasten the bottom and then I weld on the top and then I clean it all up. I don't do a finish sanding on any of these.. that takes a while and I would imagine everyone here already has the tools or processes they use to get thier enclosures ready. I am thinking of offereing a finish sanding as an option to any enclosure I sale though.

Quote from: ambulancevoice on April 25, 2008, 07:47:08 AM
i can just picture the diamond one stuffed with high gain distortions and fuzzes, like big muffs and mashall shredmasters and dr boogeys and yeah

As for stuffing this one full of hi gain boxes.. that is a great idea. You could easily get 4 or 5 of them in it, maybe even 6 if you do a fuzz or two. In that case, I would imagine it would be a space saver and cost wise, it may get close to what 5 other enclosures would cost. (I don't buy enclosures, so I am guessing at that... :-)

Thanks All,

Mick