Best hookup wire?

Started by frenster, April 26, 2008, 08:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frenster

Solid or stranded? Size? Notice any tonal differences?

Reason I ask, I recently used some of this wire to hook up an a/b box and a compressor and thought I lost some lows. I've heard silver plated wire like this is supposed to be better!

http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=116

Will solid core be "truer" than stranded? Will bigger wire have a better frequency range?

I'd love to hear from some experienced builders who've been through this before.

petemoore

Solid or stranded?
  Stranded or solid, stranded flexes so anywhere except two fixed points use stranded or...
Size?
  22ga. [or]
   Notice any tonal differences?
  No.
  Solid core is good for working from point to point on the board, stranded is harder to use for soldering to pads. Use stranded for offboard [I have used and seen solid core used, note that it breaks and breaks traces and pads sometimes...gets ugly that way.
  Save the longer resistor leads I clip off, and use those for board jumpers.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

For a few inches at audio frequencies, the wire can't make any audible difference whatever. Or measurable, without a hundred grand of test gear.

When two "identical" units sound a bit different, I'd check the caps. Electros in particular can be all over the place, unless you are using new ones.