TS-808 + Rangemaster - Need Some Help

Started by rossowj, April 28, 2008, 11:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rossowj

I am building a TS-808 and a Rangemaster in one Enclosure. I ordered the PCB's from GGG and I have a couple questions.

First off, what enclosure would you guys recommend that would fit these two PCB's in comfortably?

secondly (noob question), how would I wire the pedals together so that I only have to use one Input and one Output? one DC jack?

thanks a lot

frankclarke

NPN rangemaster? The Hammond "BB" enclosure would be OK, depending on the size of your PCB. Search here for the switching stuff.

rossowj

It's the PNP Geranium Rangemaster. I'm gonna get an original OC44 for it.

The BB should be ok? thats what I thought...thanks for the info, I'll search for the switching stuff

DiamondDog

Quote from: rossowj on April 28, 2008, 11:43:57 PM
how would I wire the pedals together so that I only have to use one Input and one Output? one DC jack?

Very, very, VERY  carefully, I'd suggest.

The RM is a + gnd circuit; + and - gnd circuits do not mix on the one power supply. If you try- stand well back, OK?

If you wire it up as - ground, you can run into oscillation problems. I know GGG has instructions, but you may be better off looking at some of the excellent Neg Ground RM sircuits like NPN-Rangemaster by Doug Hammond, or Rangeblaster by Phil Bryant. I'm not endorsing them as the best, but these two I have built and they sound good.

And by the way, what sound are you trying to get? A RM (treble booster) and TS (mids booster) in one box? Are you going to use them together? What amp are you going to (ab)use?

Quote from: rossowj on April 28, 2008, 11:52:32 PM

Yep, them geranium chips are good to get hold of. You might have more luck finding an equivalent germanium one. ;) (Sorry!)
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

rossowj

Quote from: DiamondDog on April 29, 2008, 06:29:58 AM
Very, very, VERY  carefully, I'd suggest.

The RM is a + gnd circuit; + and - gnd circuits do not mix on the one power supply. If you try- stand well back, OK?

If you wire it up as - ground, you can run into oscillation problems. I know GGG has instructions, but you may be better off looking at some of the excellent Neg Ground RM sircuits like NPN-Rangemaster by Doug Hammond, or Rangeblaster by Phil Bryant. I'm not endorsing them as the best, but these two I have built and they sound good.

And by the way, what sound are you trying to get? A RM (treble booster) and TS (mids booster) in one box? Are you going to use them together? What amp are you going to (ab)use?

Quote from: rossowj on April 28, 2008, 11:52:32 PM

Yep, them geranium chips are good to get hold of. You might have more luck finding an equivalent germanium one. ;) (Sorry!)

well, thanks a lot for the information!

so it looks like I will just be building these separately but in the same box? is that the best way to do it? separate inputs/outputs/DC jacks?

I will be playing through an AC15, I plan on trying them out together, but if that doesnt work out, ill use the TS as my main dirt, and just use the rangemaster for soloing.

petemoore

so it looks like I will just be building these separately but in the same box?
  I've done that...
   is that the best way to do it?
  Think about your wants / needs...for me that'd be some other way.
  separate inputs/outputs/DC jacks?
  If you run a + circuit and a - circuit from one PS, well...the +/- will be connected and short circuited. [ie don't try it]...use separate power supplies.
  Two circuits, one box, two jacks [in and output], no problem.
I will be playing through an AC15, I plan on trying them out together, but if that doesnt work out, ill use the TS as my main dirt, and just use the rangemaster for soloing.    
  Are you asking if the RM should go before TS ?
  Notes:
  You can use a MAX1044 to convert +9v to -9v, allowing _/+ PS to be used in 1 box with 1 DC jack.
  I went around with all that [MAX conversion, two battery clips, Battery clip and a PS..etc.] and settled on a -Gnd. RM, or an RM in a box with +Gnd. circuit.
  ... or RM in it's own box with DC jack...with it's own floating power supply
  Rangemaster seems to 'notice' PS ripple [not that TS doesn't], regulated power is something to try if the noise difference between battery supply and PS is great.
  Take a look at RG's 'Spyder' [and everything else] at GEO.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

rossowj

thanks pete!

I am really new to pedal building, I've only built a BYOC 440, and done some simple monte allums mods, so bear with me.

So I've decided that I am just going to keep the two ciruits separate, but leave them in the same box. I will get a DC jack for the TS and power it with my 1 spot daisy chain, and I think that I am just going to use a battery for the RM because it seems as though this GGG circuit can be troublesome. Does that sound like a good idea?

also, is the Hammond BB going to be big enough for these 2 circuits?

jlullo

you shouldn't have a problem squeezing them in a BB depending on which ts layout you are using and if you have the enclosure horizontal.  Rangemasters are pretty small circuits.  you might be better off picking the smallest ts808 layout (tonepad has a good and compact one) and perfing the rangemaster

rossowj

Quote from: jlullo on April 29, 2008, 12:45:42 PM
you shouldn't have a problem squeezing them in a BB depending on which ts layout you are using and if you have the enclosure horizontal.  Rangemasters are pretty small circuits.  you might be better off picking the smallest ts808 layout (tonepad has a good and compact one) and perfing the rangemaster

I got both the TS and RM PCB's from GGG

Dragonfly

you can build the rangemaster npn and put it in the same box with the 808

a quick look in the gallery would take you to my "gallery pages", which would yield these diagrams....

3PDT :

DPDT:

rossowj

jlullo

you should build the negative ground version, because the TS808 is negative ground.  then, you could use the same power supply

rossowj

Quote from: jlullo on April 29, 2008, 01:12:09 PM
you should build the negative ground version, because the TS808 is negative ground.  then, you could use the same power supply

ok ty

DiamondDog

Quote from: rossowj on April 29, 2008, 01:14:18 PM
ok ty

The other thing is - what other effects are you/do you plan running? Personally, and YMMV, I prefer to have my RM and my overdrives at different parts of the signal chain. You are halving your options this way. And DIY sound is about not having to compromise. (I think I'll put that in my sig! :))

rossowj

well i'll be running a crybaby - nano small stone - barber dd - monsterpiece mkII - de7 - dd5 - rv3 - rc20xl

you're right about me limiting my options by putting it in the same box, but im going for a really specific tone here in that all i really want is for the RM to be pushing all my other dirt and my AC15

rossowj

I will be able to use a standard boss tip- adapter right?

DiamondDog

Quote from: rossowj on May 01, 2008, 02:41:03 PM

I will be able to use a standard boss tip- adapter right?

On the effect or for the supply?

On the effect, you can wire it up any way you want. If it's on the supply, yes, provided you wire up your effect to suit.

But PLEASE do a search through here on using PNP Ges with negative grounding- if you do the reserach, 99% chance you won't have any trouble.

rossowj

nvmind. thanks everyone