Power Transistors in Fuzz Circuits

Started by polaris26, May 06, 2008, 09:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polaris26

I'm wondering if anyone here has experimented with power transistors (like the ones in the large TO-3 cases) for fuzz circuits.  Either Germanium or Silicon - they seem cheap and plentiful - I would be curious as to what circuit you tried them in, what mods if any you had to make to the circuit, and what the results were.

cheers,
Dave

In the heart of the Poconos!

Gus

polaris26

Hi Gus,

Thanks for your helpful response.  I did a search and didn't come up with anything too useful, hence the posting.  Sorry if I took up too much of your valuable time.

Dave

Quote from: Gus on May 06, 2008, 09:46:49 AM
Yes

do a search
In the heart of the Poconos!

Dragonfly

A for "power transistor" yields 2 pages of results.

You might also look for "power" and "mosfet".

Austin73

Actually maybe leave Dave alone as I did the search for power transistor and yeah lots of pages but only his seemed to ask the power transistor for fuzz everything else seemed random.

Unless I use a different search from you guys.

Not being rude just stating a fact

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

The French connection

Hi dave, as you i found nothing on fuzz based on power transistors neither or TO3 Fuzz or whatever...Power transistor return a bunch of things on power supply and/or transistor but nothin specific or related  on their use in fuzz...So your question seems relevant and i like to see info on it too.

;)

I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

Austin73

We did Gus,

Just had a quick look at your search results - did you search the original forum archive? As obviously we didn't so probably why we got different results.

Cheers for posting the threads and not getting the hump

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Dragonfly

I didnt have any problems finding results....I used the term "power transistor" as stated above, and ALL of these threads have parts the refer to the use of power transistors in either fuzz circuits or in one or two cases, as clipping devices.

You guys are acting like Gus and I didn't bother to "search" before we suggested the search function.

This is kinda what upsets me a bit...and not at you guys directly...but in suggesting a SEARCH, I've not only searched TWICE and found results, but I've ALSO had to weed through the results and post them below.

In the meantime, you could have used the search function and saved me the trouble of doing all the work for you TWICE.

This happens nearly every day on the forum...people having to perform "searches" for another forum member. Listen...when I search for something I have to "weed through" lots of unrelated information just like everyone else should have to...in fact I often learn a lot MORE by doing so. I use the function EVERY SINGLE DAY. Now, go back through the history of my posts and see how many threads I've posted asking questions. VERY FEW. You know why ? Because nearly everything has been answered already, and by utilized the search function, I'm either able to answer my own question, or able to gain enough information to assist me in experimenting and finding the answer out for myself.

Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...and like I mentioned, this isn't directed at this poster specifically...its just a general statement about some things that forum members seem to take for granted... A) The search function, and B) other forum members time. Want to guess how many times RG has had to answer the same questions over and over because people don't use the tools available in the forum (WIKI, search, gallery, etc...)? 

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=67136.msg534524#msg534524
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=54289.msg414510#msg414510
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=9016.msg54373#msg54373
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=60900.msg478230#msg478230
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=5865.msg34167#msg34167
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=10409.msg63261#msg63261
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=18795.msg111433#msg111433
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=34990.msg245521#msg245521
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=9130.msg54958#msg54958

DougH

QuoteJust had a quick look at your search results - did you search the original forum archive? As obviously we didn't so probably why we got different results.

Well then you went the long way around and did it the hard way. Because if you do a simple search it will include all the forums by default.

I did a simple search for "power transistor" and came up with 2 pages of results which included everything Gus & Andy went to the trouble of quoting for you.

Asking a question is not a problem. But if someone tells you to do a search because it's been discussed before, don't give them attitude. In the amount of time it took for you guys to come back and whine about it, you would have had your answers if you had just done the search instead.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Dragonfly

And remember guys...we've ALL been there. Doug and Gus (me too..) have all been on this forum for many years....so we're not just saying things "just to say them".  ;)

MikeH

You know, asking a question about using power transistors isn't that common of an occurrence.  It's not like he asked how to wire 2 effects into one enclosure.  Or what the proper size drillbit to use to for a stompswitch is.  Or "I think small bear is ripping me off!!  I can't get them to email me back!!!".  I can see jumping on someones back for asking questions that get asked weekly; that's fine- but come on.  I think it's funny that there's 10 posts complaining about this guys search technique, or lack thereof, when there could be 10 posts of helpful, relevant dialog for someone else to find in a search some other day.  Instead next time someone searches for power transistors they'll find a thread of everyone complaining about how nobody does searches.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

DougH

Again:

QuoteAsking a question is not a problem. But if someone tells you to do a search because it's been discussed before, don't give them attitude.

Dragonfly

Quote from: MikeH on May 06, 2008, 01:29:52 PM
You know, asking a question about using power transistors isn't that common of an occurrence.  It's not like he asked how to wire 2 effects into one enclosure.  Or what the proper size drillbit to use to for a stompswitch is.  Or "I think small bear is ripping me off!!  I can't get them to email me back!!!".  I can see jumping on someones back for asking questions that get asked weekly; that's fine- but come on.  I think it's funny that there's 10 posts complaining about this guys search technique, or lack thereof, when there could be 10 posts of helpful, relevant dialog for someone else to find in a search some other day.  Instead next time someone searches for power transistors they'll find a thread of everyone complaining about how nobody does searches.

The point is that 2 people mentioned to use the search...both of those people had satisfactory results using the search function...and they were greeted with "I DID" and "Thanks for your helpful response.  I did a search and didn't come up with anything too useful, hence the posting.  Sorry if I took up too much of your valuable time". The fact is that I had simply typed "power transistor" into the search and had fine results...no voodoo, no special terms, nothing. I even gave them the search term to use. Doug found results. I found results. Gus found results. NONE of us did anything special. We simply used the search function. NONE of us "jumped on their backs"...we said "do a search".

For the record I HOPE people find this thread and see that "searching: actually works and gets results. Between Gus and I we posted 14 links by using the search function. 14.

Dragonfly

The French connection

Sorry guys. You're absolutely right. Don't want to make a quiproquo. But maybe if the first answer have started with a ''Hi'' or ''hello!'', you were not loosing your time on this...and all have been more friendly...But anyway, dont waste your time anymore. Everything's fine!  :)

Sorry for the disturbance.

Quote from: Gus on May 06, 2008, 09:46:49 AM
Yes

do a search

Quote from: DougH on May 06, 2008, 01:34:09 PM
Again:

QuoteAsking a question is not a problem. But if someone tells you to do a search because it's been discussed before, don't give them attitude.

I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

jefe

It's threads like this that make me afraid to ask questions around here. Then again, it's also threads like this that have taught me to use the search function effectively.

A little advice from one newb to any others who may happen to read this: Search before asking. Search 5 different ways. Put quotes around your seach terms. When all else fails, post your question politely, appologize in advance "if the topic has already been discussed", and then politely ask to be pointed to those existing threads. And then thank that person for his/her help.

You catch more flies with honey, etc...

MikeH

Quote from: Dragonfly on May 06, 2008, 01:38:32 PM
Quote from: MikeH on May 06, 2008, 01:29:52 PM

The point is that 2 people mentioned to use the search...both of those people had satisfactory results using the search function...and they were greeted with "I DID" and "Thanks for your helpful response.  I did a search and didn't come up with anything too useful, hence the posting.  Sorry if I took up too much of your valuable time". The fact is that I had simply typed "power transistor" into the search and had fine results...no voodoo, no special terms, nothing. I even gave them the search term to use. Doug found results. I found results. Gus found results. NONE of us did anything special. We simply used the search function. NONE of us "jumped on their backs"...we said "do a search".

For the record I HOPE people find this thread and see that "searching: actually works and gets results. Between Gus and I we posted 14 links by using the search function. 14.

True, the initial posters response was rude, and I don't advocate his response.  And unforunately that overshadows the first reply which was, I won't say rude, but definitely cold.  If you're just going to type "Do a search".  Why respond at all?  I guess I just feel like sometimes the "Do a search" police are quick to dismiss a post if they know it's been discussed.  Using power transistors in a fuzz is not exactly been beat to death and ironically, it's only the people who have knowledge on the subject who would know it's already been discussed, and thusly they're the only people prone to pull the "Do a search" card.  I'm sorry, I just find it funny.  Is this a place for discussion or is it just a big encyclopedia?  I'd be inclined to think that 99% of questions about stompboxes that one could ask have already been asked on this forum.  I'm sure if we did a search we could find an instance of this exact topic of discussion:  People who don't search before they post.

I guess what I was saying, and believe me I'm not trying to fight with anyone, certainly not you Andy, I don't think you've been rude or anything... what was I saying?  Oh yeah- let's just be polite.  If someone asks a question that's been asked a billion times that's one thing, I suppose even if they're obviously new around here, but in this instance one would have to admit this isn't exactly a topic that's been discussed to death, at least not recently.  Give the guy a break and don't go all "Do a search" on him.

Edit:  Or at least say "Hey it's been discussed before, if you do a search for xxx, you'll find blah blah blah..." .  You know?
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

petemoore

Librarians: sometimes we are.
  GEO has Mosfet information, very good.
  Gus has a Mosfet distortion, also good and shows a common, useful circuit.
  Once you figure out to bias a Mosfet [see GEO], and read the data sheets, you'll see that the gate/source capacitence, build it and you can or can't hear it...in my exp. it just reduced the need for LP filtering.
  Because RS sells P Mosfets, a few resistors and a pot to bias the gate, the usual complimentary capacitors and whatever voicing...1 stage is booster time, do that twice in a row or more and it'll get distortion, translate that into a Fuzz as best you can [note gate/source capacitence], should be able to produce cool 'Fuzz'.
  WGTP did work with mosfets ! Perhaps some of the existing Mosfet circuits with a twist to accomodate the chosen powermosfet devices can help produce a nice fuzzy circuit.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

DougH

Okay, now that we've discussed to death the merits of searching, back to the original question:

QuoteI'm wondering if anyone here has experimented with power transistors (like the ones in the large TO-3 cases) for fuzz circuits.  Either Germanium or Silicon - they seem cheap and plentiful - I would be curious as to what circuit you tried them in, what mods if any you had to make to the circuit, and what the results were.

I breadboarded a Si Rangemaster using a TIP29 power transistor. Tonally, it sounded really really good- very smooth. But it just didn't have quite enough gain. May be a good candidate for a 25k gain pot RM instead. I'll have to go back and play with it some more. I might have tried Gus's NPN Boost with similar results but I don't remember. Haven't tried anything in the T0-3 package yet.