Your assistance please?

Started by Cardboard Tube Samurai, May 06, 2008, 08:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Debug time. I have a DOD OD250 and a Buff n Blend in one box (makes for great bass overdrive by the way!). Now this thing was previously working but had a bit of a faulty switch or at least what I suspected was a faulty switch; occasionally when switched on, it would just be a farty, gated sort of sound. Anyway, so I swapped the switch over and it no longer works at all. I have been debugging it and discovered that the IC voltages are way out.

My measurements:
Pin     Voltage
1        0.02v
2        8.01
3        8.84
4        0v
5        0v
6        8.78v
7        9v
8        0v

What they should be:
Pin     Voltage
1        >0.1v
2        4.5v
3        3.6v
4        0v
5        >0.1v
6        4.5v
7        9v
8        .0.1v

I used the GGG layout (schematic can be found here ---> http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/dist_250_sc.gif)

The only change I made was increasing input cap for better bass response so it doesn't make sense. It WAS working but isn't anymore and I'm quite confused. Can anyone help?

aron

Somehow the VRef is off - like the V+ is shorted to the pins that should be biased 4.5. It's also possible the op amp is blown.

Cardboard Tube Samurai

I have tried 2 op-amps though with the same result (didn't check the voltages on the 2nd op-amp come to think of it). One is a metal can version and the other is the standard silicon version. I shall try a third and see what happens eh? Unless there's something that's blowing them, in which case I don't really want to keep trying it and would rather find the problem.

DougH

It's probably not the IC but the Vref voltage divider. Something is messed up as it should be giving you around 4.5v.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Found it! Thanks guys, you at least pointed me in the right direction. At some point during construction, I had accidentally switched the position of 2 of the resistors in the voltage divider and when I had swapped them back, I applied too much heat and lifted a copper trace. Evidently, I had a dry solder joint where I had tried to repair this and it must have just completely broken when I was moving things around to replace the switch.

Thanks again, I knew I could rely on you!

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

aron