News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

tone control

Started by 1878, May 07, 2008, 04:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone.

I bought an EH Double Muff which I use mainly as a boost/overdrive. The only problem I have with it are the armour-piercing high frequencies it gives out ?!?! I was thinking of adding a basic 'guitar type' tone control at the output stage to tame it a little. Can anyone see any problems with this ??

If my initial idea is a winner, what values (pot & capacitor) would you recommend ??

Thanks in advance.

MikeH

Do a search for "SWTC" or "Stupidly wonderful tone control".  It will probably work great for your needs.  Or you could go the old low-pass filter rout.  connect the ouput to lug 3 of a pot (10k or so) and connect a cap (0.1 or so) from lug 2 to ground.  You can use that to roll off some of the highs but you'll lose a little output as you do.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Cheers for that.

I thought it was gonna be an easy one, but I'm still a bit of a newbie to this so I thought I'd best clarify things.

Thanks again.

Mick Bailey

You could try soldering a cap across the output - I used .022uf to correct a similar problem with another pedal and it worked fine. Don't solder it across the output jack, otherwise your bypassed tone will also have the highs rolled off. You need to pick up where the output comes off the PCB.

If you just want to test the idea, the easiest way is to temporarily solder it across the output, though. Maybe experiment with a few values until you hit upon one that is right for you, then figure where to solder it to pick up the signal leaving the PCB so that it doesn't affect the bypassed signal.