~ IC finding Dilemma! ~ Where can I get this MRAM?

Started by moritz, May 07, 2008, 05:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moritz

Does anyone know of any good vendors/resources for small quantities of not-so-common IC chips?

I'm after a particular RAM chip (part: CY9C6264) for a DIY synthesiser memory cartridge I plan to build -it's supposed to plug into the back of this keyboard synth and allows you to store and recall patches that you've created.

Anyway, this chip is a special, non-volatile RAM called 'MRAM' (Magnetoresistive Random Access Memory) and it's proving to be a bugger to find. Neither Mouser nor DigiKey stock it and Googling seems to lead to vendors who deal in large minimum orders (if they even stock it). Basically they're geared towards large customers.

I have a schematic for the cartridge using common volatile RAM (SRAM), which requires a battery to be connected at all times, otherwise the memory is wiped when the cartridge is removed from the synth. I was hoping to adapt the circuit for use with the MRAM to eliminate the need for the battery.

I've searched the forum, the wiki and Googled to no avail... If anyone knows any possible sources for this sort of thing, ideas on places to look, tips, anything, I'd be very grateful!  :)

pjwhite

I can't find any info on that particular chip, but Freescale has some MRAM parts which are available.
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/homepage.jsp?code=IFNWMMRY&fsrch=1

A good web site for finding parts is http://octopart.com, though it didn't turn up anything on your Cypress (?) part.

puretube

moritz

Thanks for the replies guys! I couldn't find the particular part on those sites, but I'll keep them in mind for future searches.
I actually ended up filling out a parts request form from a large supplier in Hong Kong (www.hkinventory.com). Now I'm getting all these emails from distributors (mainly from China and Hong Kong) with offers to sell the part. At least it seems they trade in small volumes and the prices appear decent. Has anyone ever sourced parts in this fashion?

moritz

Yeah, I tried the Cypress site yesterday, but the page entry for the CY9C6264 is a bit buggy. I might try emailing them. Thanks!

moritz

Actually, I've just found plenty of viable alternatives to the MRAM: internally battery-backed SRAM and FRAM, both of which are non-volative, and both of which can be found at many of the major suppliers (note to self: don't go parts searching while tired in the early hours of the morning  ::) ).

Does anyone have any favourite vendors in regards to international shipping costs (I'm in Australia)? Mouser, DigiKey, Farnell, Future Electronics, Avnet, Newark, etc., etc...?