thor build very noisy... possible solutions?

Started by beatnik, May 09, 2008, 07:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beatnik

I've built this awesome pedal (thanks ROG) but it still need some debugging.

In fact there is a loud noise, wich becomes louder when i don't touch any string.

I thinked it could be my cheap power supply, but also use it with a dr.boogey (wich is a similar circuit and very noisy too...) with zero hiss or hum.
Resistor are carbon film type, maybe metal film 1% would reduce noise?

I use shielded wire for the gain pot and for the wiring going from pcb to 3pdt and from 3pdt to in/out jacks (as i did on my dr.boogey)
and biased Q1 and Q2 as indicated in the original schem.

Have you had the same problem and fixed it? any suggestion please?

Giacomo

bkanber

In general, noise problems are usually:

1) Something not grounded.
2) A short or solder bridge.
3) Sometimes, a broken trace.

All that really can be said is to double and triple check everything.

Good luck!
Burak

plankspank

QuoteIn fact there is a loud noise, wich becomes louder when i don't touch any string.
Definitely sounds like a ground problem. Make sure the in/ out jack grounds are grounded to the PCB board ground; and these all should be tied to the enclosure ground also (along with the pot housings). Do you have this in an enclosure yet? Try it also powered by a 9V battery....

raulgrell

It does in fact sound like a ground problem. Make sure everything is well soldered, that your caps are good and your FETs are biased properly.

I wouldn't rule out the problem being in your guitar. Have you ever had your guitar wiring checked/pots replaced? If the guitar is old, the electronics start to go a bit off inside the guitar. How loud is it when you are touching the strings?

It might also be in your pickups - are they shielded?

beatnik

i checked all the wiring and finally i'm sure it's ok

i tried to power it by a 9v battery and no more noise!

so i think i have to buy a decent power supply.

thanks everybody for the help

MadMac

Hey beatnik

Does your thor oscillate when playing individual notes i.e. sound as though the distortion is a little like a vibrato sound happening as well?   Mine seems to do this and I haven't worked out why as yet.

beatnik

mad mac i don't have

the only other "strange" thing of my thor is that the bright switch doesn't have much effect with high gain settings.

but that's not a problem because the highs are enough for me.

I am thinking to box it with a dr.boogey with a common versatile eq (maybe tonemender from rog)