some miniboosters muamp qs

Started by swt, May 16, 2008, 07:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swt

Hey, i'm trying to understand the srpp stage to design something i have in mind.
Is all the gain coming from the lower jfet?. I mean...can i use a lower gain jfet in the upper position and a higher gain one on the lower?.
If i use bigger resistors on the gate of the upper jfet...that will give more gain and lower headroom right?. IF i lower them? How interactive are those res with the source resistor?. IF i use i higher source res the gain goes down...what happens to the headroom?.
I'm trying to use it a little different than the usual hardclippers out there, so was thinking of playing with the gate resistors, and also the source one to get rounder tone through subsequent stages, and also be able to use it as a clean preamp, with 2 stages ala fender.

Jered

Go to http://www.geofex.com and read RG's "mod your mu amp" its got all the answers to your questions. A must read for those interested in JFET mu amps.
  Jered

swt

thanks. i already read that doc. but i wanna know the sonic impact of each component. Will be rounder at clipping if i use lower gate resistors?. What's the effect of raising the source resistor? apart from varying the voltage at gate....

JDoyle

Quote from: swt on May 19, 2008, 10:39:33 AM
thanks. i already read that doc. but i wanna know the sonic impact of each component. Will be rounder at clipping if i use lower gate resistors?. What's the effect of raising the source resistor? apart from varying the voltage at gate....

The whole circuit is 8 components.

Put it on your breadboard and change them out and hear what happens.

You'll never know what it sounds like by reading about it anyway...

R.G.

Lowering the gate coupling resistor makes it sound more like peanut butter.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

puretube

swt

thank you gentlemen, will report the final results when they happen.

matchless

Quote from: R.G. on May 19, 2008, 11:25:48 AM
Lowering the gate coupling resistor makes it sound more like peanut butter.

Smooth or crunchy?

;)