My Ferric Chloride um... situation....

Started by cpnyc23, May 18, 2008, 09:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpnyc23

Well, it seems I have developed a bit of a situation with our friend ferric chloride.  Perhaps someone out there can help.

After each PCB etch that I do, I funnel the ferric chloride into one of those tall Ball jars (the ones with the 2 piece screw on lid).  My plan was to make this my storage vat for 2nd tier chloride.... it was going to be used for etching an enclosure or three and then properly disposed of.

Well, today I etched the GGG Eq project.  Following my normal tidy ways, I reached for the jar after washing off the freshly etched board and turned the cap to open it. 

Nothing.

Not even a bit of budge.

Now, I've been known to tighten jars rather, um, aggressively and I'm sure, being that this is a somewhat toxic-like chemical (at least as far as jars of it laying around the house goes) I gave it a good solid turn last time I closed it up.  But this is NUTS!   I ran it under hot water, hoping the metal top would expand.  Nope. Not even close.  Still won't budge.

So, any thoughts as to what I should do? 

Thanks for your wisdom in advance.

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

e178453

something I learned working in a restaurant long ago-take the dull side of a heavy knife and whack it a few glancing blows around the perimeter of the lid so as to push it in a counterclockwise direction-you might not see it move but it usually loosens it somehow.  Two piece lid might be a different story. 
scott

caress

rubber band around the lid helps a LOT!  a little tip from my momma

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

What is the lid made of?
One thing i would do: get a plastic bucket & put some hot water in it & stand the bottle upside down in it for at least an hour.

If all else fails, I'd drill two holes in the lid & transfer to a plastic bucket, then try again, in something with a plastic lid.

gutsofgold

Quote from: cpnyc23 on May 18, 2008, 09:15:02 PM
 I ran it under hot water, hoping the metal top would expand. 

come on man! METAL top ... that'll do 'er. You really have to be careful with this stuff, FeCl3 eats METAL that's its job. It ate your lid from the inside.

cheeb

Mason jars (Ball) seal by vacuum pressure. Poking a hole in it will release the vacuum and should loosen it up. By any chance was the etchant hot when you put it in last? Down here in rural South Carolina, that's how we can our produce for the winter, by heating it in a jar and allowing the cooling to create a vacuum.

ralley

You can get a tool for removing lids - it's basically a rubber strap mounted to a long plastic handle.  You wrap the strap around the lid and use the long handle to give you extra leverage and remove the lid.  I actually bought mine for removing oil filters from motorbikes (I was to cheap to buy the proper tool that uses a chain instead of the strap).  Since it lives under my kitchen sink it gets used a lot.

Rob.
Sender lawyers, guns and money
The sh*t has hit the fan.
   - Warren Zevon

cpnyc23

I might have to give the can opening device a whirl.

This is the kind of  jar I'm referring to:

I recognize that the top itself is metal and thus the ferric would eat into it.  However, with these lids, the sealing action occurs b/w rubber and the top of the glass - the metal itself is not exposed to the ferric.  If it was I surely wouldn't be in this situation - I could just turn it upside down for a bit and let the ferric eat its way out.

If the leverage tool doesn't work, I think I'll try puncturing the top (carefully!) to release the pressure/suction.

Thanks for your suggestions.

By the way - does anyone know if when ferric chloride dries, does it become sticky in anyway?

I'm just going to tell myself that it was my massive strength that caused the top to be so tightly sealed   :icon_biggrin:

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

rikkards

Not sure if this will work but I know with new jars (i.e relish, spaghetti sauce), if you take the jar and put it on its side and bang on the bottom with the heel of the hand a couple of times, it has a tendency to allow it to turn afterwards.  The catch is there needs to be pretty full.

Quote from: cpnyc23 on May 19, 2008, 09:47:22 AM
I might have to give the can opening device a whirl.

This is the kind of  jar I'm referring to:

I recognize that the top itself is metal and thus the ferric would eat into it.  However, with these lids, the sealing action occurs b/w rubber and the top of the glass - the metal itself is not exposed to the ferric.  If it was I surely wouldn't be in this situation - I could just turn it upside down for a bit and let the ferric eat its way out.

If the leverage tool doesn't work, I think I'll try puncturing the top (carefully!) to release the pressure/suction.

Thanks for your suggestions.

By the way - does anyone know if when ferric chloride dries, does it become sticky in anyway?

I'm just going to tell myself that it was my massive strength that caused the top to be so tightly sealed   :icon_biggrin:

-chris
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

cpnyc23

Sadly, (or luckily if it works!)  the jar is pretty full - I'll have to give your idea a shot.

at this point, I'm looking at a messy procedure involving drilling into the top or, god forbid, broken glass so I'll give anything a shot.

Thanks!
-chris

Fuzzy-Train

Do you happen to have one of these handy. I would suggest getting one anyways... they're very useful.

Rubber wrench.
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom

rikkards

+1 if the ball of your hand doesn't work

Quote from: Fuzzy-Train on May 20, 2008, 06:59:26 PM
Do you happen to have one of these handy. I would suggest getting one anyways... they're very useful.

Rubber wrench.

Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

GibsonGM

If you drill, watch out the contents didn't somehow pressurize a little with temperature changes, and come splashing out at you (wear goggles).   Shouldn't take much to drill through, I'd think...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

jlullo

yes make SURE that you have proper eye protection... the etchant might be a bit pressurized..

i had a run in where i splashed ferric chloride in my eyeball and it involved a trip to the emergency room and an eye patch...

cpnyc23

I assure you - I ALWAYS wear eye protection (sealed) when anywhere near Ferric Chloride, hot solder, a saw, a drill or a dremel.   Thank you, however, for making that point as anyone that comes across this site should have a reminder or three to wear goggles - all the time.

-chris