The Original RAT (does it have input buffer or not)????

Started by richon, May 19, 2008, 08:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richon

i was looking at different sites to compare my 3 years old DIY RAT clone.

so now i see that some schematics have an input buffer before the LM308 and others don't

so, does the old original vintage RAT has the input buffer or not???
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

petemoore

don't know...
  but if you have a commercial pedal [many have Jfet buffer/ bypass system..Boss, DOD, etc.], you can test the buffered/unbuffered sound just by adding /subtracting the buffered pedal in bypass mode.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

richon

after some thinking and remenbering:

i did watch an original 1981 Proco Rat inside, and  (besides sounding exactly the same) the layout was different but it did have 2 Jfets so i think the original has BUFFER.  :icon_mrgreen:
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

swt

someone mention this on another forum, and it's said that rg´s schem is wrong. it has two fets, but one is used for the switching in a similar way as the millenium does, the other is the output buffer. That's why the touch sensitivity is good in this type of circuits and derivatives. I have  seen at least one version of a rat and it's this way.

DougH

The RAT used a darlington transistor to control the LED, see R.G.'s millenium bypass article. I believe the original RAT had input and output buffers.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

richon

yes, this is what i saw :  the original RAT had two Jfets, input and output buffers.... and no millenium bypass, because it didn't have LEDs
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

swt

well another lesson that shows internet info isn't reliable sometimes. in my opinion it'll work better without the input buffer. The rat i'm actually using is diy nad has the i-buff and i built it from rg schem...someday i'll try the tonepad version to compare. Thanks!