SSL style bus compressor?

Started by nag hammadi, May 20, 2008, 04:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nag hammadi

i would like to build a nice bus comp along the lines of the ssl stuff. 

does anyone know of any kit based solutions?

or something somewhat similar but simpler?
in the face of you all i stand defiant - subhumans

Rocket Roll

There's the SSL Mixbus Compressor Clone from Gyraf Audio - DIY informations are on http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm . I don't know about kits.

"Goin' down where Southern cross' the Dog"

MartyMart

Nag, the Gyraf GSSL is a cracker, no kits as such but boards and all details available at
www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/

Roger Foote sells various kit versions of his wonderful "Pico Compressor" over here :
www.picocompressor.com  and supply's FPE files for front panels from "Front Panel Express"
It's a beautiful stereo Buss/Mix compressor with very low ratios available, here's mine :

I know that several mastering suites in the states have bought them and are singing it's praises.
I would recommend it very highly against ANY of the high end Buss comps available.
Roger also has mono versions and a new 500 series ( API Lunchbox size ) available as a full kit with case.
He and Wayne are also very cool and helpful guys indeed, a dream to deal with IMO.
Marty.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

nag hammadi

i may give the pico a try.  it looks like it would do the trick...

how do you use yours?

MartyMart

Quote from: nag hammadi on May 21, 2008, 06:46:14 PM
i may give the pico a try.  it looks like it would do the trick...

how do you use yours?

It's just completed and I have tried it across a stereo drum buss and across some mix's that
are ready to be finished, as a final mix buss compressor.
Sounds fantastic and glues tracks together very well, it's totally transparent, does not effect the
tone or width of tracks at all.
:-)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

nag hammadi

sounds like what i need.

how would you say it compares musically to the ssl stuff?  have you ever used one?

MartyMart

Quote from: nag hammadi on May 21, 2008, 09:58:00 PM
sounds like what i need.

how would you say it compares musically to the ssl stuff?  have you ever used one?

Yes, I also built a GSSL from Gyraf, which now has a "Turbo" board giving it the exact same
response as the original "desk" compressor from SSL.
The Turbo board is an add-on and easily retrofits into a GSSL build.
It stops the original GSSL from compressing too hard on mono/bass signals in the centre of
a mix, which some were solving with a sidechain filter - the original SSL buss comp never had
one of those in it.
They are slightly different but are equally good at their job, I would say that the Pico is a bit
more smooth and subtle at lower ratios, not much between them and they can both get quite
vicious when cranked ! - good for an effect but you wouldn't do that to a mix !!
Neither is a complex build, and no expensive transformers for I/O are required, they both cost
about the same to build, perhaps $200 & the cost of a case.
The circuit can be built and tested in one day with perhaps a 1/2 day fitting/wiring into a suitable
rack case.
MM.

dirk

That Pico thingy looks sweet. Must try that one for sure.
Thanks for the tip.

nag hammadi

Quote from: MartyMart on May 22, 2008, 04:56:18 AM
Quote from: nag hammadi on May 21, 2008, 09:58:00 PM
sounds like what i need.

Yes, I also built a GSSL from Gyraf, which now has a "Turbo" board giving it the exact same
response as the original "desk" compressor from SSL.
The Turbo board is an add-on and easily retrofits into a GSSL build.
It stops the original GSSL from compressing too hard on mono/bass signals in the centre of
a mix, which some were solving with a sidechain filter - the original SSL buss comp never had
one of those in it.
They are slightly different but are equally good at their job, I would say that the Pico is a bit
more smooth and subtle at lower ratios, not much between them and they can both get quite
vicious when cranked ! - good for an effect but you wouldn't do that to a mix !!
Neither is a complex build, and no expensive transformers for I/O are required, they both cost
about the same to build, perhaps $200 & the cost of a case.
The circuit can be built and tested in one day with perhaps a 1/2 day fitting/wiring into a suitable
rack case.
MM.

wow, this is sounding perfect.  i am getting excited.  are they different enough to warrant building both ya think?

thanks for such an in depth response oo.   :)

MartyMart

Quote from: nag hammadi on May 22, 2008, 04:03:02 PM

wow, this is sounding perfect.  i am getting excited.  are they different enough to warrant building both ya think?

thanks for such an in depth response oo.   :)

I built a GSSL first. as I have used them but never owned one, they cost around £2,400 for
the original 4000 series rack !!  ( new XLogic version is cheaper however but still about £1,500 )
I wanted that famous SSL "glued together" sound and it does that very well, remember that the
Desk SSL comp was used on thousands of hit records in the 80's/90's !!
Having the Standard GSSL/Turbo mode switchable also makes it a great drum buss compressor
so you can slam the "centre" of your image a bit harder and in that mode it adds some "width"
and slight top end to audio.
Turbo gets you that "classic" true Buss comp sound for mix work.

The Pico had some great reviews and if you read the details at the Pico site, you'll get a feel for
what Roger has done with the design, "True power Summing" I think is the description,
to provide rock-solid stereo imaging and precise level management based solely on the left and right channels
combined RMS energy. By summing each channel's power, gain changes are not affected by inter-channel polarity
or phase correlation. The result is smooth, natural-sounding stereo compression.

... I'm beginning to sound like a sales person !
So to answer your question, yes I think having both is a very good idea, but start with one and see
how you get on :-)
Both are better than any other stereo compressor that I have ever owned and will be used on lot's
of sessions and mix's

MM.