Biasing Problem

Started by SISKO, May 20, 2008, 09:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SISKO

Lately ive been having some problems with one of my tubes amps. The sound come and go with no secuential order and i found that the bias level was shifting. so i measured the voltage at the bias point with no tubes in and i read 0v all over the bias circuit.
Next thing i did was to disconect the bias circuit read the voltage at the end of the power resistor and found 0v.

So basicaly my problem its this.

(400v ac)--- (100k 2w)-|<|--- (to bias circuit)

On the anode of the diode i have no voltage BUT if i touch the node between the 400v and the resistor and then measure again the anode i have 50v but starts to decrement to 0v, as a capacitor discharge.

I measured the resistance and it gives me 100k i tried other Rs and its the smae thing. I tried to put a 10M resistor from the node to gnd, but it didnot help.
My guess is that, the resistor with such a high voltage its changin its value to something bigger. Ill put a smaller resistor.
Am i missing something here?
--Is there any body out there??--

GibsonGM

Can you post a schematic of the whole biasing network?  Your problem may show up at the resistor, but could be a bad cap or something elsewhere.   If the resistor is good, leave it....it's 100K for a reason!  Could also be a problem with the diode, but there isn't enough information to make a good guess for you...is this home-brewed, or from a known working schematic? Etc.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

SISKO

Its a Marshall 2550 clon. I didnt post the schematic becouse with the little diagram i made i tough it was enoguh. :P
Anyway, here it is:
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/2550amp.gif
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/2550psu.gif

You may want to kill me, but this mornig when i was at school i had
9vcc--470R--multimeter

and it read 6v, so i guess maybe the MM its with battery low. This affternoon im going to try a fresh one and tell you my results.

SISKO

It was the low battery causing the estranged reading.  >:( Now on, ill always replace the battery when the indicator its marking
Next step, try to look for another problem in the amp