New AMZ Tone Control (in a DS-1?)

Started by benallison, May 21, 2008, 09:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benallison

First, what are people's thoughts on the circuit? It looks amazing.

I've been looking all over for simple mid-scoop tone control to replace the tone control in my DS-1. I've done some mods and the DS-1 sounds great with the TONE control set fully counter-clockwise.

So I want to leave the lo-pass filter untouched (the sound of the TONE control fully counter-clockwise), and replace the hi-pass filter (which is useless to me now) with the New AMZ Tone Control. It looks like the perfect mid-scoop!

Will I be able to drop the tone control (as spec'd on the page) right into the DS-1 in lieu of the hi-pass filter? What changes might be necesary to make it work?

To hook it up, I'm thinking I remove C11 and R15 and have the AMZ Tone Control take its input from where first lead of C11 was and have the output go to where the 2nd lead of where R15 was?

Am I even close?

benallison

Anyone?

I want C12 and R16 to stay in the circuit at all times, and yank C11 and R15 [typo corrected] replacing them with the whole New AMZ Tone Control

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

benallison

Typo. Sorry.

Ok. I like how the DS-1 sounds with C12 and R16 (low pass filter) in the circuit (TONE control fully counter-clockwise) so I want to leave them in the signal path permanently.

Then I want to remove C11 and R15 (hi pass filter) and disconnect the tone pot. I then want to insert this entire AZM Tone circuit (http://www.muzique.com/lab/tone3.htm) in place of the old tone circuit (again, leaving C12 and R16 permanently in place before the new TONE circuit).

I'm just unclear where the in and out of the new AZM Tone circuit would connect to the DS-1 board, if anything will need to be jumpered, etc.

DougH

My point is those component numbers have no meaning (to me anyway...). Is there a particular schematic you are referencing?
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

benallison

5thumbs

Quote from: DougH on May 22, 2008, 12:22:38 PM
My point is those component numbers have no meaning (to me anyway...). Is there a particular schematic you are referencing?

I think Ben's referring to the stock DS-1 schematic on Page 3 of this doc: http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/Build_Your_Own_DS-1_Distortion.pdf.
If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!

benallison

That would be the one (sorry for being unclear)!

GibsonGM

Hmm, I'd be worried about insertion loss...that you wouldn't have enough gain there to drive the New Tone Control in place of the hi-pass network.  However, I'm having trouble getting the PDF of the schematic to open, so it's hard to say!   How about building a whole new DS-1 and slapping the tone control in there, and playing with the opamp gain on the breadboard to be sure you get enough signal?  Sounds like a neat idea :o)
The other option is to run wires out to a breadboard from your pedal and try it out...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

benallison

Ok, I've sketched out what I think this will look like.

Here's the original:
http://www.roestudios.com/dump/gear/ds1-old-tone.gif

Here's with the New AMZ Tone Control:
http://www.roestudios.com/dump/gear/ds1-new-tone.gif

It looks ok to me but I know very little (notice, I'm jumpering what used to be c11 and r15).

GibsonGM;
I was wondering if that might happen... I guess I'll just have to try and see!

ubersam

You might do better by just converting the old tone control into the AMZ tone control. If you put the schematic of old and the new controls side by side, you'll notice that they are very similar. You'll just need to replace some values, jumper R15, put a pot in series with R17 and you've got the AMZ tone control.

benallison

ubersam;

i really wanted to give that a shot but i keep getting lost. for example, in the ds1 (assuming I jumper r15) r17 in the hi-pass filter seems to go to 4.5V but the equivalent resistor in the AMZ circuit goes to ground.

the concepts are still just a bit out of my grasp for me to improvise like that and my brain is on the verge of exploding already!

but i'll think more about that though and see if i can wrap my head around it. it would be more efficient to be sure.

benallison

So I tried yanking R15, then I put a pot in series with R17, just to see what would happen... not happening! It just rolled off some lows.

I think tomorrow I'll try building the whole circuit and see what happens.

nikStomp

I think that you need to remove C12, R16, and R17 also
Keep us informed about your progress!!!

Nicola