Have any of you guys built the "JH Triple Chorus" project ? (& TDA1022 question)

Started by Dragonfly, May 22, 2008, 12:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

I have some TDA1022's around here and thought it might be a cool project...

http://www.jhaible.heim.at/triple_chorus/triple_chorus.html

Any other ideas for a cool TDA1022 project ? I found a delay that uses it, but there is some debate as to whether the schematic is a working one....

puretube

maartendh

Hello,

Haven't built this one, but have been using the TDA1022 several times. With a clockfrequency varying from 5 kHz up to 500 kHz it will give you 0,512 to 51,2 milliseconds delay, so think chorus, flanging, vibrato, double tracking. Like in the MN300X series, you can run this chip on a positive supply (connected to pin 16; pin 9 goes to ground). If I remember well, you need to give some attention to good biasing  (use a trimpot for finding the best setting).

I found an application note on the internet some years ago (I think from the manufacturer, Philips), but basically the design of this delay is the same as the MN3004, SAD 512, or SAD 1024 (the latter when used for only 512 stages, as is the case in some applications), so you can use the TDA in projects for these chips (minding the difference in pin out and maybe some different biasing). I just had a look at my notes, and it seems that my first project using the TDA 1022 was a really simple one (no filtering) which was originally designed around a SAD 512.

Have fun,
Maarten de Huu

mdh

I could swear that Mark Hammer posted a flanger schem that used TDA1022's at some point, but I can't find it (neither here nor on hammer.ampage.org).  I mention it, though, because it looked like it had some features that would be pretty cool... I could be making this up, but my recollection is that it had dual delay lines for TZF.  A quick cruise through Mark's site turned up quite a few oddball flangers, but nothing that matches my recollection, and I didn't see any TDA1022 circuits (that's not to say they aren't there, though, I didn't really have a lot of time to look).

Dragonfly

Thanks for your help guys.

This is the datasheet i have for it... http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/87606/ETC/TDA1022.html  ...some good "starting points" there if i decide to just make my own project.

Personally I'd LOVE to work out or find a cool vibrato circuit that uses these...

Mark Hammer

Quote from: mdh on May 22, 2008, 05:32:40 PM
I could swear that Mark Hammer posted a flanger schem that used TDA1022's at some point, but I can't find it (neither here nor on hammer.ampage.org).  I mention it, though, because it looked like it had some features that would be pretty cool... I could be making this up, but my recollection is that it had dual delay lines for TZF.  A quick cruise through Mark's site turned up quite a few oddball flangers, but nothing that matches my recollection, and I didn't see any TDA1022 circuits (that's not to say they aren't there, though, I didn't really have a lot of time to look).
You were close, just not close enough.  :icon_biggrin:  It was this one: http://hammer.ampage.org/files/INFLSCHM.gif

Joe Kramer

I've got the JH PCB, but it's stacked up with all the the other cool project PCBs I haven't built yet.   :icon_redface:

I got a few 1022s from Small Bear, and just in time: IIUC, the JH project caused a run on them, and now SB has none left.  They do come up on Ebay now and then.  Look for "chipforbrains."

FWIW, for guitar purposes, I think you'd be just as well off using MN3207/V3207 for vibrato pedal, since it's low power and easier to find/replace.

Regards,
Joe

Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com

Dragonfly

Quote from: Joe Kramer on May 23, 2008, 01:56:39 PM
I've got the JH PCB, but it's stacked up with all the the other cool project PCBs I haven't built yet.   :icon_redface:

I got a few 1022s from Small Bear, and just in time: IIUC, the JH project caused a run on them, and now SB has none left.  They do come up on Ebay now and then.  Look for "chipforbrains."

FWIW, for guitar purposes, I think you'd be just as well off using MN3207/V3207 for vibrato pedal, since it's low power and easier to find/replace.

Regards,
Joe

thats who I got them from... heres a current auction....

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEWorig-TDA1022-512-stage-BBD-chrous-echo-reverb-DUTCH_W0QQitemZ300225037570QQihZ020QQcategoryZ29552QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

The ones I got:

look different,
of which I sent Scott a few
a while back, for a cls-222 copy...

Elektor loved that chip, ~30 yrs ago...

Dragonfly

Quote from: puretube on May 23, 2008, 06:02:21 PM
The ones I got:

look different,
of which I sent Scott a few
a while back, for a cls-122 copy...

Those definitely look different than the ones I have with regards to markings.

(nobody seen that schemo yesterday, for over 1 hour???)  :icon_wink:

Oh I saw it... I downloaded it and saved it for a further look over the next few days...thanks ;)

Elektor loved that chip, ~30 yrs ago...

hmmm...i'll have to search through their back issue listings.

Didnt Penfold use the TDA1022 for a few projects as well ?

puretube

Dragonfly

Quote from: puretube on May 23, 2008, 06:45:15 PM
Elektor 10/`78; 10/`79

no luck finding them so far... i signed up @ the elektor website, but havent found "back issues" for sale.

the search goes on.

thanks for the tips...i definitely appreciate it.

stephanovitch

Have you a PCB for the solina chorus?
I think it's a "two faces" PCB.
No full view are given to redraw it.

puretube

Joe Kramer

Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 23, 2008, 09:09:37 AM
Quote from: mdh on May 22, 2008, 05:32:40 PM
You were close, just not close enough.  :icon_biggrin:  It was this one: http://hammer.ampage.org/files/INFLSCHM.gif
I guess I should actually LOOK at what I'm linking to before posting a link, eh? :icon_redface: :icon_redface:
That circuit uses a TDA1097 not a 1022.

juancra

I'm sorry to revive this post to life after months, but I have a question regarding the Solina... Can it be built for guitar use or is just synth oriented? .. I'd love to build a unit like this but I want to be sure before starting.