troubleshooting galaxy hotspot....

Started by surfdaworld, May 23, 2008, 03:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfdaworld

not sure if this is the right part of the forum to ask, but thought I'd give it a shot.....

ok, so I've got a self-powered 2-channel Galaxy Hotspot monitor that a friend loaned me, and while it does produce sound, the sound is so low in volume as to make it worthless.

I popped the case to have a look at the circuit, and found 2 power transistors that are supposed to provide the power amplification.  I'm not sure if there's one transistor per channel, or if they operate in tandem--however, while probing that part of the circuit with my scope, I encountered some really odd things about the waveform--

Transistor 'A' has the proper signal at its base, 36VDC at its collector, and that SAME signal at its emitter as what is found on the base--no change in amplitude.

Transistor 'B' has the appropriate signal at its base, -35VDC at its EMITTER, and a really funky signal at its collector.

now, because of a liberal application of a gooey sealer on the trannys, I can't get a part number off to tell if one is PNP and the other NPN, or what, but it just seems really weird to me the way the voltages are showing up.

anyway, if anyone has the schematic to this circuit, or any ideas to troubleshoot further, I'd appreciate it.  I just don't have enough experience with amp circuits to feel my way through this one.

Thanks!
-Trenton