Stage Center Reverb control values???

Started by 6stringer, May 23, 2008, 11:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6stringer

I've just completed a Stage Center Reverb using JD Sleeps pc board and parts list.  The unit works and sounds good, except for
the controls.  The Mix control goes from no reverb added to way over the top in about 20% of the pot sweep, the "dwell" control
is just left off, adding any dwell just makes the signal sound farther and farther way and the control will finally just turn the
volume of the signal all the way off, so there is no sound coming from the amp at all.   Also, both pots work in  reverse, that is,
set all the way to the left the controls are "off" and all the way to the right, the controls are full on.  I tried wiring them in reverse
but they did not operate in a reverse manner, the tapers seem off.   Both pots are 50k log.     I've not seen or heard any other
Stage Center Reverb, so I don't know how they are suppose to work, but mine cannot be working in the correct way.
Any ideas?
As alway, thank you in advance for your help

6stringer

Can anyone with a Stage Center reverb tell if your controls operate this way?

Mark Hammer

From your description they do not appear to be working properly.  The way it is supposed to work is that the Mix and Dwell controls (which are simply dry level and wet level controls, not to be confused with the way that Dwell works on a Fender reverb) increase the level of the respective signals as rotated clockwise.  That is the resistance between the wiper and input lug of the pot should get smaller as you rotate clockwise.  They should both be log or 'A' taper.

I find that sometimes pots can create the illusion that something is wrong with one's wiring when in fact the problem is the pots themselves.  It's a long-shot but pry up the tabs on the pots, remove the back and gently pinch the 3 rivets holding the solder lugs to the pot.  Sometimes they can be insufficiently tight and performance is intermittent.  personally, I apply a commercial product called Stabilant to improve the pot's performance, but I understand not everyone has access to that stuff so simply consider cleaning the pot well while you're in there.  Be careful not to worsen matters by inadvertently prying up the wiper.  The goal is to improve contact continuity across the whole of rotation.  Once cleaning and tightening have been done, put the back of the pot on and press the tabs back in place.

6stringer

Thanks for your reply, I'll give it a try

6stringer

OK, I finally got about to working on this issue again.  The "mix" control just seems to have way to much range, from 0 to about 20%, it works great, about that it gets pushed into muddy feedback.  I changed the 50k pot for a 10k and then a 100k but there did not seem to be much change in the range of the pot.   I would like to have a more progressive sweep, with the fullest level of the reverb to be limited
to about 20-25% of what I have now.  Any ideas?
Thanks

rubix cube

Am I wrong in thinking that the true bypass wiring image on ggg is incorrect?  It looks like pin 7 is the output pin of the input opamp (IC1 A in the schematic), but that this then goes via a 0.22uF to the DWELL control on the layout image, but goes to the MIX control on the schematic.  Am I reading it incorrectly?

mitzrecords

I have same problem to. I managed to mod some bass response by C4 lowered but I think there is too much reverb for my liking.

oh ya thanx mark hammer for nice comment on another thead of mine.

mitzrecords

hmm ive been working to fix this but no luck.

weird thing is sometimes it seem to work fine but often either one of pot has no effect and the another one becomes reverb/volume pot. and often that alternates between each pots. very very strange. i switched pots but no luck. i looked for cold solder joints, but no luck.

i have no idea what is causing this... :icon_twisted:

mitzrecords

i guess i will check wiring again. just wondering where the point causes alternation of pots(no effect, volume/reverb)