BSIAB2 questions…

Started by GonzoFonts, May 24, 2008, 11:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GonzoFonts

I built the BSIAB2 and I have a couple of questions.

1) Is there any way to get more output volume?
2) I used the GGG PCB layout. The pedal sounds fine but it is a little on the noisy side. Is the layout at gaussmarkov.net quieter?

Thanks in advance.

GF

petemoore

Question illicits questions:
  More than what, or, is it actually working right.
  IE there should be quite a substantial boost-ability involved.
2) I used the GGG PCB layout. The pedal sounds fine but it is a little on the noisy side. Is the layout at gaussmarkov.net quieter?

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

GonzoFonts

Quote from: petemoore on May 25, 2008, 12:06:00 AM
  Question illicits questions:
  More than what, or, is it actually working right.
  IE there should be quite a substantial boost-ability involved. 

Yes it is working right. There is a lot of boost/output but I want a little more. :)

Thanks.

GF

GonzoFonts

John Lyons

Adding on the last stage of the Big muff should do it.
Same with the "Super Hard On" stage as boost after the BSIAB (a la "Box of rock")

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

GonzoFonts

Quote from: John Lyons on May 27, 2008, 01:09:01 AM
Adding on the last stage of the Big muff should do it.

Thanks... but I would prefer to not ad an additional circuit.

I think increasing the volume pot value should help but I have not had a chance to try it.

GF

GonzoFonts

Can anyone comment of the gaussmarkov.net layout is quieter compared to the GGG layout?

Thanks.

GF

darron

my GGG layout wasn't noisy in comparison to other distortions, especially when you consider the amount of gain i use it with sometimes. i have ultra quiet pickups though and keep everything well shielded.

i can't imagine changing the value of the volume pot would make it any louder at all. best bet would be to take John's advice i'd say.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Valoosj

Noisy as in when you don't play you get a lot of noise?
I get that too with my Box of Rock clone, and my big muff.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

GonzoFonts

Let me back track for a moment...

From what I have read, people say that gaussmarkov.net layout of the Dr Boogey is better (i.e. quieter, etc.) than other layouts.

So I am wondering of if the same applies to the BSIAB2 (i.e. is the gaussmarkov.net BSIAB2 layout is quieter than the GGG BSIAB2 layout?).

Thanks and sorry for any confusion.

GF

John Lyons

I think both layouts would be about the same noise level.
FETs vary in gain a lot and any two pedals built with them will sound a little different from each other.
Your pedal may have a low gain FET. Swap them out with new ones and see.

john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

gaussmarkov

Quote from: John Lyons on June 02, 2008, 12:40:39 AM
I think both layouts would be about the same noise level.
FETs vary in gain a lot and any two pedals built with them will sound a little different from each other.
Your pedal may have a low gain FET. Swap them out with new ones and see.

i agree with john.  i drew up that bsiab2 long before the dr. boogey thread where we all worked on that layout together.

john, do you think another run at the bsiab2 is worthwhile?  it's a great circuit.

John Lyons

Gauss
I don't think there would be any room for improvement.
I'd have to look at the layout as far a linearity and spacing but a few people have build from the layout you already have up and I haven't heard of any problems, noise concerns etc. The layout is nice and compact as well.

By the way, I had not been to your site for a bit and the other day I was poking around and found a bunch of things I had not seen, and we probably added since I was there last. Great work!

john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

gaussmarkov

hey, thanks!  i've been filling in a few gaps here and there.  and i always have stuff in the works.  but it's been very busy outside stompboxland over the past 4 or 5 months.  so i've been a little slower lately.

i hope things are going well!