smooth distortion

Started by jimmy, September 21, 2003, 08:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy

hi all

ive been mucking around with pedals for a while now, and ive decided to put a few together for permanant fixtures on my rig. so, i wanted to start with distortion, and what im lookin for, is a smooth ritchie blackmore sounding one with plenty of high end. does anyone know what pedal ritchie blackmore uses? ive got a sneaking suspicion hes a cheater and just puts his marshall on the lead channel, but i could be wrong(?)

any suggestions?
"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust

Stu

jimmy

aaargh they didnt have it there. i managed to track it down though here it is if anyone's interested

http://members.lycos.co.uk/branislav/blackmore/

yeah, looks like he drove the amp to buggery.

any other suggestions?

p.s. how bout that trem bar thing? WOW!

tubes or bust

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    Since it always depends on what type of guitar and amp combo you're using [mixed with yer FINGERS !] , that's always a hard question to answer, but I found that Jack Ormans' Mini-Booster got me pretty close.
When using a Strat thru a cranked Marshall or Vox-type amp you can get a good boost with any of the 1-tranny boosters around here. [Mini-Booster, LPB-1, Gus's NPN Boost, etc.]  The Vox treble booster is a good circuit, too [change the input cap to .01 or higher for a good full-range kick].
Brian.

brett

There's a pedal called the tube-sound fuzz that'll probably deliver the sound you're after.  Craig Anderton and Mark Hammer have had a fair bit to do with developing it.  My take on it is at my web site: www.members.optusnet.com.au/~jethro.dog/gallery.html (Tube-like fuzz).  It's a great fuzz; more "hollow" and less "gritty" than a fuzzface.  Better for jazzy/bluesy stuff in my opinion.  Also, check out my VoodooDrive if you want a more versatile, slightly TS9ish sound.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

gez

I agree with Brett, though 'fuzz' is definitely a misnomer as these circuits sound VERY smooth if set up right (closest thing to a cranked valve amp I've heard - just my opinion mind!).

There's a few variations of Anderton's circuit in Schematics, as well as the Double D at 'Run Off', plus a couple of interesting new circuits at Tim Escobedo's site (circuit snipets - should be linked from his profile).

If you want a little more crunch (and unfortunately a little more intermodulation distortion in my experience), then you can wire up a 4007 for the inverters, though you'll probably have to re-jig the circuit to get it to sound right.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

jimmy

thanks for the suggestions!! ill put those on the to do list. although, im feelin a little edgy about tryin a new circuit, as today i stuffed up gus' npn boost, and that worries me, because of its simplicity. i hope ive got a tranny in backwards...

tubes or bust