Tremulous Bear pics anybody?

Started by motion, May 28, 2008, 02:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motion

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone had a pic of the underside (ie. the soldered side) of a completed Tremulous Bear board? The *unglamourous* side, I guess you could say.

I've done a few projects on pcbs but this is the first time with perf board - it seems a little less intuitive, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

Thanks much!

Matthew

motion

Actually, perhaps a pic is not what I need, just a pointer in the right direction....

Here's a pic of the TBear's guts:

With schematic:

...and layout:

My question is a simple one for anyone who's made one of these:

Where the heck does LED2 go?

I know the first one is mounted on the box, but would the second one go near the LDR, if the LDR does indeed detect light?

It's newbieish, I know, but I couldn't find anything in the search I did.

humbly,
Matthew

any

As you can see on the board layout, the Led inside the vactrol (or led/ldr combo, however you want to call it) is labelled Led2.
So yes Led 2 is the led mounted in front of the ldr.

Cheers,

It's supposed to sound that way.

Morocotopo

Hi motion. LDR means Light Dependent Resistor (or something like that). It´s a resistor that changes its value in Ohms according to the light it receives, and it´s actually the heart of the whole circuit. so you have to mount the LED directly facing the LDR to get things to work right. Do you see in the schematic that the LED is joined with a dotted line to the LDR? that means they are to be connected, specifically in the way I said before. Now, since this is a common use for LDR´s (varied in resistance by a LED) , some smart guy thought to pack a LED facing an LDR in a single sealed package for convenience and to shield it from outside light. That´s called an optocoupler, or vactrol and there are lots models of them. In the layout this is represented as a square that says "LED"/LDR", and you can see it in the picture of the pedal as a black thing just above and to the right of the upper opamp. It has two legs on one side that correspond to the LED and two on the other side that correspond to the LDR. Actually you can build your own optocouplers with a LED, a LDR and some shrink tubing...

hope this helps

Morocotopo
Morocotopo

motion

That's just the info I was looking for. Thanks, guys.  :icon_cool: