ibanez wau fuzz

Started by jonjon, May 29, 2008, 03:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonjon

hi guys i have been a member of this forum for a while but haven't posted much. just reading and learning . I'm quite the noob.
got a question someone may be able to help me with

i have just built this

and was wondering is it possible to use a pot instead of the switch (circled bit in pic).its the tone change by the way.
would i just put a pot where the link is between the caps ? and connect the outer lugs? what value pot would i use?
or am i completely off track.
thanks for any help
john

any

you can definately put a pot there, try any value you have to find out what works best for you.
Wire middle and one outer lug to the cap and the other lug to ground.
If you look at the pot from the front use the left and middle lugs to the cap, right to ground.
(front facing as in how you would look at the pot when it's mounted in the box.)

hope that clarifies it a bit,
Cheers
It's supposed to sound that way.

any

heh, it might help him, but I don't think posting this particular schematic is the best way of doing that...
Zach still has these in production and he actually tries to make a living out of that.
Either that, or someone slapped Zvex Octane 2 on there for fun? it's confusing non the less..

~arph

jonjon

Quote from: any on May 29, 2008, 07:46:15 AM

Zach still has these in production and he actually tries to make a living out of that.
Either that, or someone slapped Zvex Octane 2 on there for fun? it's confusing non the less..

who makes these? how much?
john

any

Quote from: jonjon on May 30, 2008, 05:18:10 AM
Quote from: any on May 29, 2008, 07:46:15 AM

who makes these? how much?

go to: www.zvex.com
he's also a forum member so it's good sportsmanship not to post his "commercial work" here.

jonjon

i did not know that . i thought it was out of production.
had a look at the site some cool looking pedals ,
i found the schematic on line . i wanted to build this fuzz in a box on its own . i have it in wha  with fuzz form, seen that a few different companies did it in the 70s. now someone else is doing it. a bit confusing .
i cropped the schematic pic ,so hope that is ok
john

8mileshigh

Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

reverberation66

I'm confused too.   I'm assuming the schematic and question posted are in reference to the ibanez wau fuzz.  How did Z. Vex
get involved in all of this ???   surely he's not trying to claim some he invented those too.....

Dragonfly

Quote from: reverberation66 on May 30, 2008, 01:28:59 PM
I'm confused too.   I'm assuming the schematic and question posted are in reference to the ibanez wau fuzz.  How did Z. Vex
get involved in all of this ???   surely he's not trying to claim some he invented those too.....

One of the Z Vex pedals is basically a lightly modified Ibanez /Shin Ei / etc Superfuzz.

That's not any reason to post the Superfuzz / Standard Fuzz schematic however.

jonjon

i didn't mean to step on anyones toes by starting this thread.
i was just making a pedal out of a schematic, designed by John Weir for Selmer in 1968 ,and wanted to know if i could change the switch for a pot.  and how to do it.
what i do not understand is why i am asked not to post a schematic of it because z vex is making a version of it .
does he own the rights ? i don't get it
john

GREEN FUZ

Just to clear up the confusion. Someone posted a schematic that bore a striking resemblance to the WAU FUZZ purporting to be a pedal currently in production . The post and schem have subsequently been removed.

I`m sure if there was a problem with the one you posted, it would have been removed also.

Don`t worry about it.

Have you tried splicing in the pot yet?

jonjon

that makes sense reading back over it all.
no i haven't tried splicing  the pot. what is that?
john

slacker

to get back to the original question you just need to replace the switch with a pot. Use a 10k - 47k linear pot wire the wiper to one of the points where the switch was connected and one of the outer lugs to the other point where the switch was connected.

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: jonjon on May 31, 2008, 07:49:40 AM
...splicing  the pot. what is that?
Quote from: slacker on May 31, 2008, 08:16:23 AM
... you just need to replace the switch with a pot. Use a 10k - 47k linear pot wire the wiper to one of the points where the switch was connected and one of the outer lugs to the other point where the switch was connected.

That`s what I meant. :)

jonjon

awesome thanks guys . i had a 10k B pot laying around ( got it by accident ages ago, instead of a 100k :icon_rolleyes:)
came in useful after all. this pedal is way more usable now.
this was the largest schematic i have worked off so far and had minimal errors( mainly while trying to find 2sk30a fet substitute locally , not sure i found the best one, 2n5457.
but its working. pretty stoked.
what to build next :-\
thanks again
jon
john