Small Clone mix mods?

Started by Rick1114, May 30, 2008, 11:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick1114

Hi all,

I modded my small clone re-issue with a depth pot. There's one or two last mods I'd like to make try because the chorus still sounds a bit wimpy.  I did the research, and it seems there are a few ways to approach this. Fisrt thing to try is lowering the 20k Wet sSignal resisitor (I'm gonna try 18k) to increase the wet signal.  I would then like to  add the mix pot - it seems using a 50k Linear pot to substitute the 22k dry signal resistor is the simple way. I'm not exactly sure how to do this - do I just take out the 22k resisitor and attach the two outer lugs of pot to those connections?.

Also one last question - is there a way to use the switch (which is no longer in use because I've added the Depth Pot) and make it into a Bass Cut switch? 

I'm really trying to make my perfect chorus!

Thanks,

Rick

axg20202

To replace a fixed resistor with a pot, you need to wire it as a variable resistor (use a linear pot) - connect one of the old resistor connections to an outer tab of the pot, and the other to the middle tab (the wiper), then connect the other outer tab to the middle tab.

If you want to cut bass at the output, you can play with the value of the output cap, which can be switchable between stock and another value (using a SPDT). Reduce the value of the cap and it will act as a highpass filter. If opting for 2 switchable cap selections, take one leg of each cap, solder them together and link this to the output of the circuit, then for each of the two remaining cap legs run a separate piece of hookup wire to its own throw on the switch (or better, just solder each leg to its appropriate lug on the switch). The pole connection of the switch should be connected to the circuit immediately before the output cap location. I hope that makes sense!

Andy.

Rick1114

I have a feeling I'm not 100% correct on the mix pot.  Has anyone done this mod and can share the best way of going about adding a mix pot to the small clone?

Thanks,

Rick

axg20202

Rick1114

Sorry - didn't mean to be rude - just tought to digest everything while I am work (doing 2 things at once is never good).  I appreciate your explaining how to replace a resistor with a pot and how to hook up the switch in a way I was able to understand. That will come in handy later...  However, the more I reading into the mix pot, the more confused i was getting on how to do it - It seems the way I was thinking is really just a "dry" blend, so I was looking for more specifics on that.  I will probably scrap the mix pot idea and just play with those resisitors at the mix/output stage, and maybe add a delay time pot/bass cut switch eventually.  Thanks again for your assistance!

Rick