I Need help finding the right power supply!

Started by sevenisthenumber, May 30, 2008, 08:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenisthenumber

Im shopping for a good power supply to mount under my pedaltrain. I run a pretty big setup of about 15 pedals including a whammy pedal that only uses it adaptor. I bought the bbe supa charger but found out it wont power my whammy....  :(

Is there a good supply out their that will power my normal pedals and my whammy?

My pedals

Wah> Whammy> Mini POG> Orange Squeeze Compressor> GGG Marshall Bluesbreaker> TS808 > RAT> GGG Stratoblaster> Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter Tremolo> Rotovibe > Holy Grail> Boss DD7> Boss Giga Delay> BBE Sonic Stomp

brett

Hi
What is the power rating of the bbe supa supply?
If it is 300mA or more, and doesn't do the job, then you might be best building your own supply.  There are several kits using LM317 chips that supply about 1 amp at 6 to 15 volts. 

I got one from Jaycar electronics here in Oz for about $35 (including a plastic, not metal box), and rigged it up for 1 amp and 9.5 volts.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

sevenisthenumber

andrew_k

The next step up from the BBE is the Pedal Power 2 Plus. It also won't power your whammy, but it has an AC socket on the back to plug your whammy's power adapter into.

The only commercial slimline isolated DC power supply with an AC outlet that I'm aware of is the Juicebox, but the AC output on that is only 9v. I'm not familiar with the whammy's requirements, but isn't it something like 15vAC and a high mA requirement?

sevenisthenumber

Thanks! im gonna take my bbe back and buy the voodoo lab!

jkokura

Resurrecting a dead thread - Does anyone know how the Flatliner Pro does powering the Whammy? Also, will it power the Eventide Timefactor? If I'm looking at it correctly, it powers one or the other not both, but I need someone to verify it.

I'm looking at creating a setup using both on a pedaltrain 2, but if I can't do both with one flatliner pro then I'll have to change my plans...

Jacob

Processaurus

My XP100 whammy pedal draws about 750 mA ( :icon_eek:) so the 1000mA that the 9v AC output is rated at should be fine. 

the timefactor takes 1200mA 9v DC ( :icon_eek:) which is pretty manly.  Since the outputs of the flatliner are rated at 200mA, that's not going to work.  You'll need the power supply that came with it or a 1 spot (rated for 1700mA) or other beefy switching pedal power supply.

I lost interest in elaborate power supplies once I got a couple of the 1spots, as they are relatively cheap, quiet, and powerful.

Just a weird side note on consolidating power supplies, one time I tried daisy chaining 9v AC power from one adapter to two of the digitech XP series pedals and it made the most godawful buzz!  Nobody here could explain it...

R.G.

Quote from: Processaurus on December 21, 2009, 05:06:30 AM
Just a weird side note on consolidating power supplies, one time I tried daisy chaining 9v AC power from one adapter to two of the digitech XP series pedals and it made the most godawful buzz!  Nobody here could explain it...
It occurs to me that the pedals are using rectifier bridges internally. The way a rectifier bridge works is that the diodes act like voltage sensitive switches. They connect first one side of the incoming AC to DC ground, then the other. If you have two of these connected to the same AC power wires, no transformer isolation between them, and also connect the resulting DC grounds together, all is fine in one "phasing" of the incoming AC, because the same side of the incoming AC is connected to the two grounds at the same time. If you flip the incoming AC over so that one full wave rectifier is connecting one incoming AC to ground while the other full wave rectifier is connecting the other side, you will at least get a huge buzz if not tendrils of smoke.  The incoming AC is being shorted by four diodes.

Don't know if that's what did happen, but it could be, depending on the wiring of the AC daisy chain and the internal connections to the power jacks.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jkokura

Yeah, if i can't run both, then I'll have to look at either a different Delay pedal or a different power supply.

I wonder if I can build a power supply that will give me the AC power for the whammy, the huge MA need of the Eventide, and still give me 6-8 9V 200ma draws for the rest of my pedals...

Power 10 pedals, some with strange power needs, all on one board can be difficult. I hear what you're saying about the cheap easy one spots, but I like having a unit I can mount under my pedaltrain easily.

G. Hoffman

Voodoo Labs also makes an AC power supply, though it would require mounting two separate power supplies on your pedal board.  There is probably room under there, from what I've seen, but honestly, I'd make one that actually gave you exactly what you need.  They are not that hard to make, and R.G. has a great article to help you through the process on his site.  The Weber transformer should probably give you everything you need for the DC, and it's 9VAC tap is 2 amps, so plenty for your needs.  You would need a separate transformer for the Whammy, but it probably wouldn't need to be a particularly expensive one.  Fortunately, it probably doesn't need to be a particularly expensive one.  But if you have even a basic understanding of electronic circuits, you can handle a power supply - just take appropriate precautions while building it, and you will have something that does everything you need in one relatively compact package.

Gabriel

G. Hoffman