What is a W100 pot?

Started by PurpleStrat, May 31, 2008, 03:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleStrat

I bought a Tech21 British pedal a few day ago and it did not work. Basically the volume was so low I had to turn my amp to ten to hear anything.

Instead of shipping it back like a smarter person would I opened it up and poked around. The problem seems to be the level pot. All the pots are marked W100K? Never hear of it. The pedal only works right if I touch lugs 1 and 3 with my finger.

So what does the W in W100k mean?

tehfunk

Well I know there is a such thing as a w tapered pot, like what they use in the ibanez tubescreamer, I believe. It is also called a g taper. It attains 20% of resistance at 50% of its clockwise rotation.
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

George Giblet

Unfortunately different manufacturers use different codes.

I've seem W being the same as G - which is 50% resistance at 50% taper but bunches up at the ends, and is used for graphic EQ's.
I've seen W being 20% log taper as well.
Perhaps even W as linear!

I thought most of the pots in tech21 stuff were 100k linear tapers however this may change over time.
Many level pots are logs but there are circuits around where this is not the case (ie. where the pot is part of a feedback network).

Measure the other W100k's pots in the unit if there are any, otherwise ask tech21.

zachomega

As George suggested, contact Tech 21.  Most of the time, good companies with good reputations will stand behind their product and help you out.  You might have to spend for the part or shipping, but at least you'll have the right part. 

Or you could always just stick a A100k pot in and see what happens.  It may work close enough that you'd never know the difference.

-Zach

PurpleStrat

Thanks for the help guys. Since no one knows what it is I guess I will email Tech21. I'll stick a B100K on for the meantime.

BTW this is very good pedal when I can hear it. I also have the Liverpool which might be my new favorite overdrive ever. If you want a Vox in a box it's the best I have ever heard.

m_charles

I was gonna say "B" tapers are usually a safe bet when you're unsure. They'll at least get the job done without sounding too weird.
But apparently you're already giving the "B" a try!