Transistor ID help

Started by eurekaiv, May 31, 2008, 04:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurekaiv

Hi, I got a bag full of 900201-81E transistors at a garage sale today but I wasn't able to find any info/datasheets online.  Anyone familiar with them?  They're a TO-5 metal can.

petemoore

Nope, but I'm familiar with familiarizing myself to unfamiliar transistors using a DMM with an Hfe checker.
  Getting a reading of hfe in the ballpark has always indicated the correct pinout for the transistor under test.
  Getting a reading of Hfe can be somewhat more difficult with unknown transistor, but the PNP and NPN sides of the socket both have 4 lug contact holes, EBCB or something like that, by plugging the transistor in the socket different ways, eventually a 'ballpark' Hfe number should come on the screen.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

frank_p

Papa_lazerous

more than likely house numbered parts.

Use a DMM to first of all test the diode drop this will tell you straight away if they are Ge or Si, thats a start

eurekaiv

I know it's a PNP at this point since I dropped it into a simple buffer circuit I already had on the breadboard and it worked.  I'll hook the tranny test circuit back up and see what else I can find out about them.  On another note, I also scored a bunch of 2N6191's that seem like they'll be good for some fuzzes.  :)