Storing unused Germaniums

Started by mac, June 03, 2008, 11:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

I have a bunch of Ge I'm not planning to use in the future so I was wondering if storing Ge in sealed bags at low pressure is of any help. After all O2 slowly kills everything in this planet. :D
Also, what about re-sealing them with epoxy or similar to prevent air going into the case.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The only thing that might be useful, is to seal them with some of those dehydration crystals (silica gel).
I've got Ge transistors that have been sitting around exposed to the air for 30 years & they are fine, so I don't think it's any big deal.

tehfunk

Sell a few to me? (cash doesn't deteriorate it just depreciates, too bad there's no anti depreciating bag of silicates)
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

demonstar

What about those bags that people use for compact storing. They look like freezer bags but you use a little pump to pull a vacuum in them.   Would you need antistatic bags? are germanium static sensitive?
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

demonstar

Ooops I guess what I've just typed above was what you meant in your first statement  :icon_redface: ...
QuoteI have a bunch of Ge I'm not planning to use in the future so I was wondering if storing Ge in sealed bags at low pressure is of any help.
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

mac

QuoteThe only thing that might be useful, is to seal them with some of those dehydration crystals (silica gel).
I've got Ge transistors that have been sitting around exposed to the air for 30 years & they are fine, so I don't think it's any big deal.

I'm going to thermo-seal the bags and put some silica gel. Better safe than sorry.

QuoteSell a few to me? (cash doesn't deteriorate it just depreciates, too bad there's no anti depreciating bag of silicates)

Buy Swedish Krona ;) :D

mac

frank_p

Quote from: mac on June 04, 2008, 04:45:29 PM
I'm going to thermo-seal the bags and put some silica gel. Better safe than sorry.

Hi Mac,
Too much Silica and those Germanuims will become Si...
I would put them in black dirt, pour water every three days;  in 3 months you will have twenty times what you have now.  You can breed different numbers instead of piggybacking also.

mac

QuoteHi Mac,
Too much Silica and those Germanuims will become Si...
I would put them in black dirt, pour water every three days;  in 3 months you will have twenty times what you have now.  You can breed different numbers instead of piggybacking also.

MMhh, I better ask my mother to do that. She has lots of plants and flowers, maybe she can get a Germanium Fet!!!

mac

frank_p

Yes, yes...  My father also understand geraniums when I talk about germaniums.  I guess that a lot of relatives of some folks here understand all sort of things when they talk about their experiments.

Today I found a setting for the trigger of my oscilloscope, and I tried to explain it to my mother.  She went away and did some income tax calculations instead  :icon_eek: :P .