Danelectro French Toast LED mod figured out!

Started by Riffster, June 05, 2008, 09:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riffster

I previously posted a thread asking how to add an on/off LED indicator to a Danelectro French Toast pedal.  After opening the pedal, I know why they didn't put one in there....there's hardly any room!  Anyway, I figured out how to do it and wanted to spread the word.
From leg #13 on the 4013 chip(brown wire) to a resistor for your LED, from that resistor to the cathode(-) of the LED, the anode of the LED connects to 9v +.
Since I only use an adapter with this pedal, I mounted the LED in the battery compartment flush with the outside of the casing so I wouldn't crush it with my big foot.

Hope that helps someone out there!
~Ryan
www.KelliSaid.com
www.ColoradoMusicBuzz.com

Wild Zebra

"your stripes are killer bro"

Processaurus

Belt

All for Him

HAHAHA !!

This is something I've been wanting to get round to for a while. Thanks for all the hard work. A nice little project for me at the weekend.

:icon_biggrin:

PurpleStrat

THis was the first mod I ever figures out on my own.

The red wire to the LED looks like it has a break in the middle of it. Is that just a trick of the camera or something more important ??

Cheers.

PurpleStrat

Thanks. I know what I'm gonna be doing this boring Sunday afternoon  :icon_biggrin:

mancunian

pinkjimiphoton

dude, thanks for this trick, i was just wondering how this may be done!! righteous!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

fwiw, and sorry to be resurrecting a zombie thread,
i modded my french toast tonite. i swapped out the diode clipper for a pair of ge 1394a diodes, huge improvement in tone...you can just just barely squeeze them in there.

also added an led as well, thanks to this thread.

i found there is JUST BARELY enough room just below the "d" in the chrome plastic logo to squeeze in a small led, and still have enough room to put it all together.

i soldered a 2.2k resistor to the cathode of a small (t1? ) led...made the leads wicked short, and tacked on some .22 guage wire i had, again, as short as possible, and shrink wrapped it. i used a blue wire on the cathode, and a red one on the anode, again, shrink wrapped.

i used my dremel to make a hole just big enough to squeeze the led in, and oriented the wires, with the effect upside down and the jacks pointing away from me, so that the cathode wire came up on the right side, just by the mounting screw post.

i modified with the dremel the upper left mounting post, chewed away enough plastic to be able to snake the anode wire to the left of it, and around...figure cathode about 3:00,
and anode about 11:00. put the bottom (circuit) board back in, played with the wires enough to get them thru and still mount the board, then put the top (ps/switching) board back in and screwed it down. tacked the cathode wire to pin 13 on the 4013, and added the anode wire to the switch connection of the power in jack.

works great, sounds great, and now no more turning on my board and scrambling to see which fuzz i forgot to turn off last time...due to the electronic switching, this thing almost always turns on at power up.

anyways, hope this helps someone...and as a bonus, still works under battery power, too!

peace
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

mitutekh

awesome, i was about to add an "arm" switch to replace the momentary switch along with a 3pdt purely for the purpose of gettng an LED in. its a rehouse job so i have plenty of room!

Processaurus

the "arm" switch is for people who don't read diystompboxes!  I think someone published a nice looking diagram showing it, but a more elegant way to do the danelectro true bypass mod is to force the 4053 electronic switch, that does the bypass, into an always on state:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=73428.msg709182#msg709182

pinkjimiphoton

diystompboxes rules...i love that place, too.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

artifus

:P

pinkjimiphoton

lol...whoa, see what happens when i'm

A: deficient of caffiene

and

B: in a hurry? ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

notme

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on July 23, 2011, 10:52:42 PM
i modded my french toast tonite. i swapped out the diode clipper for a pair of ge 1394a diodes, huge improvement in tone...you can just just barely squeeze them in there.

More thread resurrection here.... I would like to know more about this mod, did you replace the single diode on the board beside the 9v input jack, or the 2 on the inner board? And where can one source the said ge diodes?

I did the LED mod with success just like your description, installed just below the "D". It looks like it belongs there! Thanks

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: notme on July 04, 2015, 02:45:12 PM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on July 23, 2011, 10:52:42 PM

More thread resurrection here.... I would like to know more about this mod, did you replace the single diode on the board beside the 9v input jack, or the 2 on the inner board? And where can one source the said ge diodes?

I did the LED mod with success just like your description, installed just below the "D". It looks like it belongs there! Thanks

the diode clipper is the only pair of diodes there, the bands are on different ends. the one by the power jack is a half wave rectifier i'd imagine for power supply protection. if you're careful you can def squeeze ge's in there. you can get them at tayda (cheaper) or small bear (far better quality) or ebay (take your chances... that said, to my ear, a ge diode is a ge diode.)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

smarkalet1

Thank you so much!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk