The largest enclosure I have ever built (pics enclosed)

Started by MicFarlow77, June 05, 2008, 03:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MicFarlow77

Hi All,

I would like to introduce this one as the largest I have ever built. It is 16" wide by 6"deep and 3" tall at the back and little over an inch at the toe.

Also of note are the square corners. It's something I have wanted to try for a while now, but as with most stuff, I had to make some "modifications and improvements" to the equipment I use to do the bends so that I can be more accurate and consistent.

Here are a couple of other pics as well:

BTW, This one is already spoken for... sorry... it will be hopping on a plane to the NW soon!

As always, I am interested in your comments!

Thanks,

Mick

Dragonfly

You are the man !

Really great work ! The corners look excellent, as does the overall "fit"...

John Lyons

Yes, that looks great!
I like the slight radiuses even though the angles are 90 degrees. Nice work.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

head_spaz

McFarlow77,
Do you weld these with electric arc or is there some method you use using a torch?
How do you prevent warpage?

Beautiful work by the way.
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

MicFarlow77

Hey AC, John and Head_spaz,

Thanks for the comments. I have had the equipment for these type of corners for a while now but had to make some changes to it to account for consistency and improved accuracy.

As for the welding, I use a MIG welder with a spool gun so that I can weld aluminium with a minimum of fuss. I tack weld the top along the outside edge and then, I go back in from the inside and braze around the entire upper seam to add strength. For that I use an aluminium alloy that only requires 750 or so degrees.. Then I cut, trim and sand the top flush with the sides.

As for warpage, this one, since it is so large, had a little.. more than I anticipated. I am in the process of building a jig now to hold things firm while I braze.. or I may also tack the inside edge a little... I don't like to tack the insides of the smaller ones because there isn't a lot of room, but on these larger ones, that is not such a big deal.

It really takes a ton of heat to braze these large ones... Some have taken 30 minutes or so to braze.

Thanks for the comments.

Mick

Ry

I got one of these for a very large project and I have to say that it is amazing.  The workmanship is clean and it looks wonderful.  Thanks Mick!

Belt

All for Him

Sweetalk

MicFarlow77

THanks for the kind comments guys!

Ry, I hope to see pics when you are done with yours!

Thanks,

Mick

Ry

Oh, there will be pictures  ;).  It'll be a while coming, though, I'm still in the planning/parts sourcing stage.

tmichutka

Ahhh, can't wait to get this in the mail!  Woo-hoo!   ;D

BTW, this'll be used for a Remote Indicating Switcher based on RG's design.

Mick has been so great!  Anyone looking for custom enclosures, as far as I'm concerned, he's the only one you should consider!  Couldn't possibly say enough good things!  Thanks Mick!