to add a mid knob or a gagan blend?

Started by gutsofgold, June 08, 2008, 10:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gutsofgold

I fell in love with fuzz on bass. I always assumed it would be more of a novelty tone but really, I like it more than my big muff. I want to make a fuzz with a lot of controls so I can really dial in what I need for bass since I want to use it quite a bit. I've decided on the pregain control but I'm not sure what else I would really use that much. Would a mid knob like the Fulltone '70 has be useful on bass or does the bass already provide a full amount of mids? Whats the gagan blend actually do to the tone, again useful for bass?

Hopefully someone has been down this road before and can offer some advice!

petemoore

Say what fuzz.
  Diddle with the input cap...heck, get something built up on a breadboard.
  How fancy do you want to get ?
  Eq / voicing can make a huge difference.
  Compression...
  Split signal paralleled then mixed back together
  I would think the Gagan Input Cap Blend for bass [which has lots of output] might be cool, it sets the LF response of the input, similar to but sometimes more resistive than input cap swaps.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

John Lyons

I'm not familiar with the "fulltone mid control" but Joe Gagan's blend control pans between a large and a small input cap.
This gives you a big bass, squishy compressed fuzz on the big cap side, then the small cap side limits bass and give a more overdrive type fuzz.
Bigger cap, more bass - bigger fuzz, smaller cap less low end, less fuzz and more controlled pick attack.

Instead of adding controls build it up on the breadboard and find out what you like, then build that.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

kvb

One of these days I'm going to present a bass fuzz monster that took way too long to build.
So, believe me when I say, don't spend too much time trying to trick out a fuzz < just build a splitter-blend and buy a bass EQ > Fuzz mixed with EQed cleans will do the job.