Tube Screamer - smallest PCB?

Started by GonzoFonts, June 08, 2008, 03:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GonzoFonts

There are multiple Tube Screamer PCBs out there.

Does anyone know which PCB is the smallest?

Thanks.

GF

sevenisthenumber

probably the generalguitargadgets.com one.
its amazing how few parts are in a ts circuit when you ditch the flip flop circuit and go true bypass.

John Lyons

It's not the size of your PCB, it's how you use it.

john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

GonzoFonts

R.G.

Quote from: John Lyons on June 08, 2008, 05:48:48 PM
It's not the size of your PCB, it's how you use it.
john
Or, quoting my daddy, it ain't the size of your pencil, it's how well you write.  :icon_biggrin:

As to the smallest PCB for a tube screamer question, is that a challenge?

If so, am I restricted to only two dimensions? Can I stack parts like cordwood? Must I use 1/4W resistors or are 0203 SMD resistors OK? Can I go multilayer with buried vias?

:icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

DiamondDog

Quote from: GonzoFonts on June 08, 2008, 03:29:36 PM

Devil's Advocate mode ON:

Assuming you're using a standard size enclosure and not putting it into the control cavity of your guitar or trying to put 93 effects into the box- why?

You've paid for all that space inside the enclosure. You may as well use it. ;)

Also +1 for R.G's reply.
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: DiamondDog on June 08, 2008, 09:43:35 PM

Assuming you're using a standard size enclosure and not putting it into the control cavity of your guitar or trying to put 93 effects into the box- why?

Also +1 for R.G's reply.

A practical reason to make it smaller: uses less resources, and is cheaper (can get more boards out of a sheet of stock).  Go hippies and tightwads!

And with the extra room in the enclosure you can fit more, uh... batteries?

GonzoFonts

I plan on putting a Ross Compressor, a Tube Screamer, and, if possible, Jack's MOS-Boost into a 1590BB.

So, every little mm of space counts. :)

GF

searoad

R.G.

Quote from: GonzoFonts on June 08, 2008, 11:00:32 PM
I plan on putting a Ross Compressor, a Tube Screamer, and, if possible, Jack's MOS-Boost into a 1590BB.
Getting enough circuitry into the box is almost never the problem.

How small must you make the *knobs* and how many can you remember how to use?   :icon_eek:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

DiamondDog

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on June 08, 2008, 10:28:05 PM
Quote from: DiamondDog on June 08, 2008, 09:43:35 PM

Also +1 for R.G's reply.

A practical reason to make it smaller: uses less resources, and is cheaper (can get more boards out of a sheet of stock).  Go hippies and tightwads!

And with the extra room in the enclosure you can fit more, uh... batteries?

For once, R.G. you haven't convinced me. The next 932 times you will, but not this! :) Onto the next 932 times, shall we! ;D

(As I said, just playing Devil's Avocado.)
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

R.G.

QuoteFor once, R.G. you haven't convinced me. The next 932 times you will, but not this! Smiley Onto the next 932 times, shall we! Grin
'S'OK.

I make a big distinction between things that are my opinion and things that Mother Nature says. My opinion is worth exactly what the other 7? 8? billion opinions are.  :icon_biggrin:
It's not any better just because I think it.

In the past, I have found that I can make boxes with too many controls on them to be useful. I'm sure that's not true for everyone.
R.G.

petemoore

Given todays SOTA technology, it would seem possible to pack the entire TS board and board components population into 1 chip, then make a smaller chip that does the same thing?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ClenchedTeeth

I would design a pcb with the three circuits on the one board. If you do it in eagle and spend a bit of time on it I'm sure that would be far more efficient than trying to cobble together 3 boards. Though that assumes you haven't already shelled out money for PCBs for the other effects, and that you're ok with making your own pcbs. I've started incorporating the millennium bypass circuit onto my boards and it's turned out to be a lot easier.
Stacking a couple of pcbs on top of each other would work quite well too, especially if you mount the electolytic caps on their sides.

soggybag

I think I'd go Son Of Screamer.

In this case the size of the PCB that big a deal I think your bigger problem is getting the knobs on th box.

I like ClenchedTeeth's idea of putting everything on a single PCB. This will save you a lot of trouble wiring things up. It will save some space also.