Tube Screamer issue

Started by si, June 11, 2008, 12:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

si

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum and also new to the DIY stompbox world so bear with me and my noob questions :)

Anyway just recently bought the ITS8 tube screamer clone kit from Guitar Gadgets and quite happily put it all together, everything went quite nicely until I actually tried it.

After I plugged in the battery and plugged a lead into it to test if the LED came on before I actually hooked it up, the LED came on for a second then looked like it burnt out immediately.

I then plugged it into an amp and plugged a guitar in just to see if there was any signal at all. When the pedal is switched off there is signal but when I switch it on there is no sound at all.

So I went back over all the work I had done and found that I think I soldered one of the clipper LED's the wrong way, so my question is would this of caused my issue and also would this cause any other components to not work??

Cheers,

Si

ACS

Hi there, welcome aboard!

I assume you've put your clipping diode around the right way and still no go!?  Just checking...

In short, no, you won't have damaged anything with this...

First thing I'd check would be battery wiring and polarity.  Next would be the stomp switch.  That you get bypassed signal implies that your in/out jacks are correct, but it wouldn't hurt to check them too!  Once you are happy with these items, head to the debugging thread and have a REALLY good read there and post back your results - there is so much useful information there that it's not funny!

Good luck
Aidan

GibsonGM

Soon you'll need an audio probe, too!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...