Super Buffer Qs

Started by Drake120, June 12, 2008, 01:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake120

I'm going to build AMZ Super Buffer, but there are some things that I don't know or am not sure about:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/superbuff.htm

1: Where's the R7 on the layout? Am I really blind, or it's just missing?
2: Still in the layout: the two holes in the upper right: the one closest to the edge of the board is ground, but what is the second one? I've read the schematic and found that it should be "V+". Does it mean that I need a power supply for it?
3: I'm going to use it with either a 6-string electric, passive electric bass or a 6-string acoustic. Probably the acoustic doesn't make any difference, but what about bass? Should I increase input cap value?

Thanks from advance,
(JD)^S

JasonG

R7 is on the right side
The caps are ok but you could go with 1uf it may help with a bass.
V+ is the plus side of whatever your using for a power supply. (9v ,wall wart )
Having a buffer like that is not a bad idea but if your not really running long cables you don't need it. Omit 2 buffer stages and you should be just fine.
Class A booster , Dod 250 , Jfet booster, Optical Tremolo, Little Gem 2,  mosfet boost, Super fuzz , ESP stand alone spring reverb red Llama omni-drive , splitter blender ,

NEVER use gorilla glue for guitar repairs! It's Titebond , Elmers, or Superglue

Drake120

Thanks for the answers and an advice :) Still, I can't find R7 on the layout. But I think it need to be placed from output to ground and I'm gonna place it that way.

(JD)^S

shredgd

Not to devalue Jack Orman's excellent work, but I didn't like the Super Buffer. Nor any Jfet buffer, by the way.
Both technologies do their job of keeping an high impedance, and therefore the high frequencies content of your tone, "too well". The result is a tone which is brighter than the original. Someone says "It is what you are in fact missing by using cables without buffers", but in my opinion the reference tone of a guitar is the tone you get from a single 5m cable between guitar and amp.

That's why, for example, if you look at the Ibanez AD-80 delay schematic, which has IC-based input and output buffers, you'll see some small (picofarads) caps in the feedback loop of the ICs.

I found the most transparent (in terms of "faithful to the classic 5m cord from guitar to amp") buffer to be the classic Bipolar transistor buffer. Not strange most commercial pedals use this kind of buffers!

In other words, if you really want to build an IC-based buffer, in my opinion you have to reshape its frequency response to the original tone of your guitar, by using the appropriate cap/resistor values in the feedback loop. But I think going with an even simpler project (the bipolar buffer), which doesn't need this time consuming precess (with unknown results), would be much easier!

Just my 2 cents, obviously.

Giulio
Protect your hearing.
Always use earplugs whenever you are in noisy/loud situations.

My videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/shredgd5
My band's live videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/swinglekings

Mark Hammer

The Super-Buffer merely faithfully replicates what it sees at its input.  Normally, what is seen at the input would not be replicated at the other end of the cable.  So, even though there is nothing about the SB that adds treble content, it can seem brighter because it doesn't lose any treble content along the way.

If some treble loss presents a desirable tone to one's ears, then all you need to do is shave off some of that treble at the input to the SB.  That way, the SB functions as intended - i.e., it faithfully transmits what it sees at its input over long distances - but you get the tone you want.

So, just stick a small value cap (1000pf or less) in parallel with R5.

Drake120

I see the opinions are divided :) Well, I'll build one with the small capacitor and see how it affects my tone. Anyway, iit's just a dream for now - I still don't have any time to sit and debug my Scrambler and Small Stone :/

Thanks for all your help
(JD)^S