Tube Reverb Layout suggestions ?

Started by petemoore, June 14, 2008, 01:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Youv'e probably noticed I got a tube reverb working.
  now that it is mostly 'all in' and cleaned up [tank hangin on the outside..daft..with one shorter tether], the noise/layout thing being the topic.
  Layout suggestions and what to look out for would be helpful...here where I think to look for noise reduction, suggestions welcome:
  Layout, tank/iron proximities and orientations.
  Shielded cable used to/from the tank, but it's not the finest.
  The tank drive cable is going right down the side of it's OT.
  Any knowledge of 6g15 layouts would be helpful.
  Is the reverb pan grounded?

..I used a PT for the OT, transformer leads marked for 38V and reads ballpark voltage, 120v on primary.
  The unit sounds great, and I'd like to get some wring the noise out suggestions [hum and radio], before I start planning a box.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

marlin

I built a reverb unit using the weber addverb layout (minus the powersupply stuff), it's slightly different than the 5g15 layout that they have. I had some noise at first but it went away after I used shielded cable for the grids. It was a bit picky about the grounding also.

petemoore

I built a reverb unit using the weber addverb layout (minus the powersupply stuff),
   see...verified wiring and layout is a big advantage, something solid to start with at least.
  it's slightly different than the 5g15 layout that they have.
  When does it matter ? Leo knew, others can, because they...found out when [and where etc.].
  I had some noise at first but it went away after I used shielded cable for the grids.
  I've got shielded cable running to the return grid [right through the hole], shielded also for the tank input.
  It was a bit picky about the grounding also.
  The entire unit is 1 point star grounded, that's a bundle of ground wires.
  The input grid has a bit of length, I could shove all the parts down to one end more and get a little shielding there, see what that does, inputs are always a good place for noise to try to get into.
  The 6g15 schematic marks look like the shielding runs to and from the tank are Not connected to the tank.
  I did more clean-ups and added a JJ 16uf to the final B tap.
  More improvement, not exactly no-noise, hit standby between sets type noise.
  It seems the noise is coming from the Reverb side, the clean is real clean.
  Perhaps I'm narrowing it down.
  Waving the tank around like an antenna when you'd tune a radio...doesn't seem to be tuning it in or out much.
  I think there's some kind of fault in the ground scheme I have here, I'm still not sure if the tank is supposed to be grounded [the sheet metal], it seems like it should or shouldn't, I'm sure they make tanks with various ground assignments [input/yes, output/no ..etc.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.